Disney Is Running the Show: All The Movies You Can Expect to See this Summer

Anticipating all the new summer blockbusters this year? Disney is going above and beyond this season to give us four new movies to bring back to life so many amazing classics that shaped our childhoods. Disney lovers all over the world await the arrival of these live action films, and they are definitely something to look forward to.

The Lion King

Courtesy: Disney News

This all-time favorite is coming to life this summer in a theater near you! This is the story of a cub lion named Simba, prince of the savannah. After losing his father and faced with guilt, he runs away from home and grows up alongside his new friends Timone and Pumba. When Pride Rock is in crisis, Simba is forced to face the past and decide whether or not he’s ready to take his role as king. With actors and actresses like Donald Glover, Beyoncé, Seth Rogan and James Earl Jones, this movie is bound to be one of Disney’s best live actions yet. Hitting theaters July 19, this is a movie you won’t want to miss.

Dumbo

Courtesy: The Main Street Mouse

This live-action film revamps this underrated classic that tells the story of baby elephant wonder Dumbo. Max Medici, a struggling circus owner assigns a former star and his two children to care for Dumbo, who has oversized ears. Upon the wondrous discovery that Dumbo can fly, he is soon pinned as the main attraction, drawing in huge crowds and revitalizing the endangered circus. His abilities draw the attention of entrepreneur V.A. Vandevere, who wants Dumbo to become a part of his latest venture. This movie premiered in theaters Mar. 29, kicking off the start to the warmer months.

Aladdin

Courtesy: IMDb

Scrounging for food and constantly having to outrun guards, Aladdin and his best friend, the adorable monkey Abu, are as mischievous as they are lovable. Their whole world changes when Aladdin discovers a magical lamp and is granted three wishes from a wisecracking Genie. Embarking on this adventure, Aladdin is faced with the decision to be who he is unapologetically. Hitting theaters on May 24, this live-action classic is sure to spark your imagination and bring a beautiful sense of nostalgia to your childhood. The trailer looks phenomenal, and I have no doubt this will be absolutely magical.

Toy Story 4

Courtesy: Screenrant

The adventure continues with Woody, Buzz Lightyear and the rest of the gang as they embark on a journey with Bonnie. As this trip takes a turn, Woody has an unexpected reunion with long-lost friend Bo Peep. As Woody and Bo Peep discuss their shared past, they soon come to the realization that they have completely different ideas for their lives as toys. With the introduction of a new toy named Forky, this new adventure is sure to bring back old and new Toy Story lovers to theaters June 21.

With all of these movies, it’s impossible to be bored this summer. There are so many options to choose from, and I hope your summer is filled with as much of the magic and joy that Disney creates in each of their projects.

Katarina is a senior at Florida State University studying Creative Writing with a double minor in Education and Communications. You can find her at your local library reading a good book or writing for her blog https://katarinamartinez13.wixsite.com/kmartinezreads As an aspiring novelist and content writer, she is always looking to spread love and joy everywhere she goes.
Her Campus at Florida State University.