Why James Gunn Is Facing Heat Over His Comments On the New Flash Movie

Content Warning: This article contains mentions of grooming and assault. 

DC and Marvel movies seem to have a chokehold on young people today. However, one is garnering more attention than the rest, but not for a good reason. The Flash, set to come out in June of 2023, is on the surface a textbook DC movie, but DC forerunner James Gunn is facing major backlash over the casting. The star of the movie, Ezra Miller, has a long list of controversies spanning from allegedly choking a woman in April of 2020, to pleading guilty to a misdemeanor in January of this year. Despite their constant running from the law, and several grooming and assault allegations, James Gunn stated, “Flash is one of the best superhero movies ever made.” 

So, what exactly did Ezra Miller do that turned a whole demographic of people against them? The list is long, so here are some lowlights. In March of 2022, they were charged with harassment and disorderly conduct in Hawaii after yelling obscenities and lunging at patrons in a karaoke bar. Later that month they had a restraining order filed against them after allegedly bursting into a couple’s bedroom and saying, “I will bury you and your slut wife,” and stealing some of their personal belongings. The next month they were arrested on second-degree assault charges after throwing a chair at a woman, causing a cut on her forehead. They were accused of grooming kids by two parents. Most recently, they faced burglary charges and are on a one-month probation.

People are coming after Gunn, saying that just because Miller might be able to play his part well, doesn’t mean that the production of the film should continue. Production of the Supergirl movie was canceled because of worries it would hurt the image of the DC franchise. Some of Gunn’s critics are making the argument that if this film was canceled over the image of the franchise, he should be canceling production of The Flash. They are also coming after him due to the release of Henry Cavill as Superman. They argue that if he’s going to change the casting of one of the biggest DC superheroes based on “vibes” alone, then Ezra Miller should be let go over their less-than-orderly conduct.

While Gunn is facing backlash, some things could be said in his defense. Filming of the movie took place in 2021 before any of Miller’s major controversies came to light. There would’ve been no way to predict Miller’s future actions at this time, and by the time they did get charged with harassment, the movie was already completely done filming. It could be wasteful of everyone’s time to cancel the movie at this point. There has also been a growing movement for separating art from the artist. I personally am not a fan of this, but it is a common argument from people who enjoy a film or song even though the creator may be problematic. It could be argued that Gunn was separating Miller from The Flash when he declared that it was one of the best superhero movies he’s ever seen.

Despite the controversy, the film is projected to make $700 million at the box office, and cost only $70 million to produce. Like many controversies these days, this one may be swept under the rug when people realize the movie is a good one. Ezra Miller’s reputation precedes them, but at the end of the day, I don’t think it will tank the success of the film. So, don’t go see The Flash in theaters if Ezra Miller’s presence upsets you, or do go see it if you love DC too much to sit it out—it’s up to you.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I'm from Minnesota, and am a Sophomore Editing Writing and Media major at FSU.