What Rom-Com You Should Watch This Valentine’s Day Based On How You’re Celebrating

Valentine’s Day is the holiday for romance, and what better way to spend it than by watching a rom-com? As an avid lover of love, I’ve created a list of some of the best movies for whatever your plans are this Feb. 14.

Bridesmaids (for Galentine’s)

Spending the day with a group of your besties? Plan a cute picnic and gift exchange and bring a laptop to watch this chick-flick together! This irreverent cult classic is perfect for a day with your future bridesmaids. There are themes of the importance and power of female friendships throughout, but it’s also just hilarious. It’s much more comedy than romance, and what better movie to watch with some gal pals? Kristen Wiig’s character, Annie, goes through ups and downs throughout the film, but in the end, she reconciles with her best friend and finds love in the process.

50 First Dates (for Date Night)

Valentine’s Day with a partner usually means chocolates, flowers, and romance, but add in this movie for an even greater time. Lucy (Drew Barrymore) and Henry (Adam Sandler) have to fall in love over and over as a result of Lucy’s amnesia, and it’s an adorable movie. Henry decides to abandon his ten-year research study to be with her, and when she finds out, she decides they need to break up. Later, they discover that she is capable of learned memory retention, and they make up. For the people who fall in love with their partner over and over again every day, it’s an enjoyable and relatable watch.

27 Dresses (for Yourself)

Feeling lonely this Valentine’s Day? Not a problem, 27 Dresses is the movie for you. This movie gives hope to those who are unlucky in love. Perfect for the girls who feel they are always a bridesmaid, never the bride, Jane (Katherine Heigl) lives this figure of speech in this movie. Her love of love is contrasted with Kevin’s (James Marsden) cynical views of it. Seeing them fall in love over the course of the movie is a win for hopeless romantics. There’s always next year for plans with others, but for now, get comfy and turn on this cute flick for your solo night in.

10 Things I Hate About You (for a Double Date)

One of my personal favorites, 10 Things I Hate About You is amazing for a Valentine’s double date. The simultaneous love stories between Kat (Julia Stiles) and Patrick (Heath Ledger) and Cam (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) and Bianca (Larisa Oleynik) are perfect for a duo of duos. There are so many relationship dynamics present in the film, from Cam’s pining for Bianca, Kat and Patrick gradually giving in and falling for each other, and Bianca’s realization that true love has been right in front of her with Cam all along. Kat’s cynicism and abrasiveness against Bianca’s naivete and impulsivity allows for contrasting character types for whatever a watcher might prefer. Enjoy this one with yourself, your partner, and your best couple of friends on a cozy night in.

Regardless of how you’re spending your Valentine’s Day, these movies are bound to add an extra touch of love to your already lovely day!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Cate Dudley is a Freshman at FSU. She is a staff writer for Her Campus. She is working towards an English Literature, Media, and Culture degree on a Pre-Law track.  In the past, Cate served on her high school newspaper for two years, as a staff reporter for one year and editor-in-chief for the other. As editor-in-chief, she oversaw the production of a quarterly news magazine, weekly web articles, and social media posts. She wrote news articles covering on-campus events and profiles on students, designed pages and graphics for the magazine, and photographed athletics events. She was also a member of the sports broadcast club, live streaming sporting events to the internet.   When she is not writing, you can find her hanging out at the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority house or enjoying the outdoors around Tallahassee.