Songs By Taylor Swift, Sufjan Stevens, and Hozier That Should Be On Your Winter Playlist

Updated Published

If you’re anything like me, you do everything for the vibes. Romanticizing my life through fashion, music, and media is basically my entire personality, so I’m always on the hunt for new things to add or ways to improve it. Winter is just the time for the music vibes to shift to a more dramatic and storytelling type. I’ve picked out the best songs from my top three artists for getting cozy on the couch in your favorite pajamas or your bundled-up hot girl walks. 

1. Taylor swift

I have to start with the obvious, of course. Folklore and Evermore are both perfect for the cold winter months. Perfect for snuggling up on the couch or baking holiday cookies, the duality of these albums is perfect for whatever you’re feeling. In my opinion, these sister albums perfectly encapsulate the folkish and simple vibe that winter usually brings, especially with being back home with family.

If you’re in more of an uplifting, cheery mood, try listening to “betty,” “mirrorball,” or “cardigan” from Folklore and “willow,” “dorothea,” “ivy,” or “long story short” off of Evermore.

If you’re in your depressed-cold weather era, Folklore’s “exile (feat. Bon Iver),” “my tears ricochet,” “this is me trying,” “mad woman,” and “the lakes” all make great choices. “Champagne problems” (obviously), “tolerate it,” “happiness,” “coney island,” “cowboy like me,” “evermore (feat. Bon Iver),” and “right where you left me” from Evermore all convey complex emotions across a wide range of storytelling. 

An honorable mention that’s worth listening to when back home for the holidays: “‘tis the damn season” from Evermore. This song is perfect for all the couples that broke up over going to different colleges. The song is about being back in town during the same season every year and reminiscing about what could’ve been. Maybe it’s not the healthiest song choice, but it’s definitely relatable for the heartbroken holiday girlies back in their hometowns.

2. Sufjan Stevens

Sufjan Stevens has a much more dreamy and ethereal sound, making him such a unique artist. The famous “Mystery of Love” from Call Me by Your Name put Stevens on the map and fits the winter playlist, but he also has so many other greats. “Futile Devices (Doveman Remix),” “Mystery of Love,” “Tonya Harding (In D Major),” “Will Anybody Ever Love Me?,” “Everything That Rises,” and “Reach Out” would be the perfect additions to your chilly weather playlist. But in all honesty, almost anything from his discography suits the simplistic folk style of music that winter beckons. Stevens is a great artist to get into if you enjoy this style of music and specific storytelling, especially because his music catalog is so big.

3. Hozier

Hozier’s complex lyrics and experimentation with acoustics give his songs so much vibrancy and depth. With his discography being less consistent with very similar sounds, he’s built up an impressive array of songs that perfectly encapsulate the wintery feel in more of an emotive way rather than a specific sound. I love Hozier’s first two albums, especially for the winter folk vibe, but I think his debut album Hozier definitely encompasses it more than his second album, Wasteland, Baby!

With that being said, “In A Week (feat. Karen Cowley),” “To Be Alone,” “Work Song,” “Like Real People Do,” “Cherry Wine,” and “In the Woods Somewhere,” although varying between upbeat and lower tempo, are great songs from Hozier to listen to when bundling up with a cup of hot tea during the cold.

Some great features on Wasteland, Baby! include “Movement,” “Would That I,” “Shrike,” “Wasteland, Baby!” and “Sunlight” (for when you’re missing it). Additionally, “Swan Upon Leda,” a single release, is lyrically complex and heavy on the instrumentals. The dramatic sound is perfect for a scenic drive or late-night cry session. 

Music is a great way to enjoy the holiday spirit and cold weather, especially when hanging out with friends. My easiest method for finding new music and artists on Spotify is by finding an artist I like and searching through the “fans also like” category for artists with similar sounds. So, give these three artists a shot and if you like them, try finding some others to complete your playlist!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Paige McGuinn is a second year student at FSU studying Communication/Media Studies and Business. She loves writing about current events, pop culture and trends. With a passion for female empowerment, she is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus community!