Culture > Digital

Ticket to Fame: Meta Is Launching a Paid Verification System for Facebook and Instagram

In the recently crafted metaverse platform Mark Zuckerberg has been building, the newest addition is a feature where users can now purchase the prestigious blue check mark that previously signified influencer status and legitimateness for accounts of public figures, celebrities and global brands. This means any of us who choose to spend the money can become the influencer we’ve always dreamed of being without racking up followers, becoming a true social figure, or having a media presence at all.

In all seriousness though, while the blue check mark has previously been a sign of status, Zuckerberg’s plan for this new feature isn’t to give users the chance at fame. Instead, it’s meant to more effectively verify accounts, protecting against those claiming to be you and giving users more direct access to customer support.

In a Facebook post, CEO Mark Zuckerberg said the new verification system, called Meta Verified, will cost $11.99 per month on the web or $14.99 a month for iPhone users. The announcement came after Elon Musk, the billionaire Tesla founder and owner of Twitter, created a paid-for verification system known as Twitter Blue after taking over the company last year. Aware of the recent feud between these two prominent business owners, it is no surprise Zuckerburg decided to adopt this technique for his own company not long after.

In order to sign up to become Meta Verified, you’ll need to meet minimum activity requirements, be at least 18 years of age or older and submit a government ID that matches the name and photo you have on Facebook or Instagram. This will help weed out the accounts that aren’t you and just bots on the internet pretending instead. Additionally, users who sign up for the service will get exclusive stickers for Stories and Reels, and will also receive 100 free stars (the digital currency you can use to tip creators on Facebook) per month. Now, who doesn’t want more happy face stickers that cost $14.99?! Unfortunately for Zuckerberg, a lot.

While this new feature is meant to help users, many have spoken out regarding their issues with the fact that they must pay to fix a company-rooted issue. Several users commented on Zuckerburg’s Facebook announcement explaining that this feature should not have to be paid for; if it was a problem that Meta truly wanted to solve, they wouldn’t feel the need to profit from it. One user named Mark Nathanael Hardy stated, “This really should just be part of the core product, the user should not have to pay for this. Clearly, it’s known by Meta this is filling a need, so why profit additionally from it? Not sure how that is supporting authenticity. Be transparent as to the purpose of the feature.” Many state that they will not be buying the subscription service and will instead just block the accounts impersonating them—and they’ll be sticking to their free stickers.

Nevertheless, the new product will be available in Australia and New Zealand starting this week. Users will have to decide whether they want to buy that blue check for their account or save their money and maybe just buy followers instead to continue their path to influencer status.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi, I'm Paige! I am currently a freshman at Florida State majoring in Finance and minoring in Economics. When I'm not writing articles for HerCampus, you can find me reading everything ranging from cheesy rom-coms to "knock your socks off" thrillers, scrolling through Pinterest, catching up on the latest vogue articles, or rewatching Gilmore girls for the 7th time!