The Taylor Swift Cultural Movement From a Non-Swiftie

Taylor Swift is arguably one of the smartest pop sensations around. Whether you are a fan or not, you have probably heard a lot about her in recent months due to her current  Eras Tour. Over the course of Swift’s career, she has built an army of fans called “Swifties.” The singer has been known for releasing break-up songs with her fans figuring out who they are about. Taylor Swift does everything with intention.

Her branding deserves to be recognized. Swift has branded herself as a small-town country girl with big dreams; she is from West Reading, Pennsylvania. When Swift was 13, her parents moved their family to a nearby town of Nashville, Tennessee, so she could pursue her singing career. She was brought up wealthy with her dad being a stockbroker and her mom a mutual fund marketing executive. With her good-girl persona, her songs portray a victim perspective to many failed relationships. With a fanbase as loyal as hers, she is always backed by millions of people. The “Swifties” are so loyal they have voiced their dislike for her ex-boyfriends whom they believe her songs are about.

Swift has been known to drop Easter eggs for her fans for upcoming albums and tours. She arguably does this with song lyrics as well. There are verses in her songs that hint at which of her public relationships the song is about. This is not an accident. The genius singer/songwriter knows this and knows it does exceptionally well.

The Eras Tour, which accounts for several of Swift’s albums, broke a record for the number of tickets sold for one artist in one day: over two million. Ticketmaster’s website crashed because of the high demand for Swift’s tickets. There were fans waiting two hours to get tickets and a lot of stressed-out fans not being able to get them due to the high demand. This commotion is because of the superstar’s cultural movement she has set. People became emotional over the possibility of not being able to get tickets to Taylor Swift. Fans dressed up in costumes from different eras of Taylor Swift. There is a huge focus on Taylor Swift in today’s cultural climate. She is an icon and even an idol of many.

With so much trust within her fanbase, Swift can say things that other artists would not receive as much love on. Her 2020 Netflix Documentary, Miss Americana explained her distaste for many things. The film featured the singer finding the power of her voice and opinions. Smaller stars like country music singer, Kelsea Ballerini are not as fortunate. Ballerini received backlash several times after expressing opinions, recently after coming out against gun violence. Taylor Swift is a powerful machine and at this point in her career, she can arguably say anything she wants and not receive hate.

It is no secret who Taylor Swift is; fans are wrapped around her finger, and it shows. The talented artist has revolutionized culture and through her music, social media posts, and public voice, her message is conveyed. She has an incredible influence on all ages, specifically Gen Z. “Swiftie” or not, there is no denying the cultural power of the singer.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi, I'm Liv! I hope my writing inspires you or challenges you. I love diverse ideas and perspectives and hope to be able to sow seeds of curiosity. In other news, I am a big fan of running, playing tennis, having deep philosophical conversations, and learning new things!