The 2023 NFL season has introduced many new female fans to the sports community as we saw our favorite celebrities and influencers enter their Wives and Girlfriends (WAG) eras. With this, a lot of attention has fallen on the fantastic game day fits worn by the wives and girlfriends of the players, including Taylor Swift, Alix Earle, and Simone Biles. While it’s been great to see what outfits these women put together, it’s also been bittersweet for female fans of the game. 

In the past decade, women’s apparel has been the fastest-growing demographic for merchandise in the NFL, yet female fans are still left wanting when shopping for cute team pieces. Many of the available options are form-fitting, have low v-necks, are overly bedazzled, or are just pink. While none of these things are inherently bad, there are so many fans who don’t feel comfortable in those types of clothes or simply don’t want them. The fans have spoken, and they want cute, fashionable apparel like their favorite fashion it-girls. 

During the Chiefs versus Dolphins playoff game, Taylor Swift and Brittany Mahomes donned incredibly adorable puffer jackets custom-made by Kristin Juszczyk, wife of 49ers player Kyle Juszczyk. The internet has become obsessed with Kristen and her designs, and this has prompted female fans to loudly vocalize their desire for this type of merchandise. Kristen has designed pieces for Simone Biles and Taylor Lautner, and fans are desperate to get their hands on her work. Currently, Kristen only makes items for friends and family. However, there are thousands of comments begging for the NFL to collaborate with Kristen to create a merchandise line made by and for women that takes our tastes and comfort into mind. 

It’s not just clothing, either. Alix Earle wore an adorable Miami Dolphins charm necklace that the internet is completely obsessed with. These are the kinds of things women are asking for, and seeing all our favorite celebrities show up to these games looking to die for has just gone to further show what fans are missing out on. Women want to support their team, and the NFL needs to step up and show us that we are valued as fans and customers. 

Some women enjoy sports and are invested in their favorite teams and players. They want to be able to wear cute, interesting, and comfortable merchandise. Female fans don’t want to just wear a men’s ill-fitting jersey or sweatshirt; they want items made with their tastes in mind. This isn’t just a problem with the NFL. It’s an issue throughout many different sports leagues where it seems that female fans are an afterthought.

The girlies are here to stay, and they are ready to pull up on game day serving looks and repping their team. So please, every sports league, listen up: If you make it and make it cute, women will buy it.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Simona Giverts is a staff writer for the Florida State University (FSU) Her Campus Team. As a staff writer, she writes articles every other week covering topics across campus, culture, and personal. Simona is currently majoring in Psychology with a minor in Criminology. She loves incorporating her educational background to better digest and dissect current pop culture news. When she isn't writing, you can find her watching old TV shows and movies, reading fantasy novels, or baking something sweet.