The New Barbie Movie: Not So Plastic, but Maybe Fantastic?

If you haven’t already heard, Barbie is making her return to the big screen this July. The full-length trailer was just released on April 4, and it has taken the internet by storm. The style of the trailer has been described as “camp,” and personally, it reminded me of Teen Beach Movie. The teaser was truly a tease, revealing no assemblance of a plot and leaving many excited fans with even more anticipation for the movie. Even those who couldn’t care less about the Barbie franchise say their interest has peaked.

Apparently, I’ve been living under a rock, because I hadn’t heard about the new Barbie movie until my roommate started raving about the trailer on Tuesday morning. So, as a girl who was the proud owner of a whole Barbie doll tribe when she was younger, I felt obligated to check it out. Yes, I know there were a plethora of animated Barbie movies that came out in the early 2000s, but somehow, I escaped my childhood without watching any of them. That being said, I will be watching this live-action version with a fresh perspective.

The biggest thing going for the movie right now is its star-studded cast. Margot Robbie takes the lead role as Barbie, and she is complemented by Ryan Gosling as her co-star and Barbie’s love interest, Ken. Other notable actors in the movie include Will Ferrell, Emma Mackey, and Kate McKinnon. The movie is directed by Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach, both of whom have worked together on hit films in the past and been nominated for multiple Golden Globe awards.

The trailer displayed some serious attention to detail, paying homage to the original Barbie with Margot Robbie stepping out of her pink heel to show her foot permanently stuck in Relive, just as Barbie’s always has been. They also certainly stuck to the classic Barbie image with the casting of Margot Robbie for the lead. I couldn’t think of any other popular actress that fits the description more perfectly. The casting of Ryan Gosling as Ken, on the other hand, has not received such positive feedback. For some, the image of Ryan Gosling as a surfer boy with bleach-blonde hair is quite off-putting, and doesn’t cross over with any of his other prominent roles.

Unlike most other movie trailers these days, the Barbie trailer manages to span almost 2 minutes without giving away any hint about the plot of the movie. Many fans were grateful for this, taking the mystery as a breath of fresh air that has people even more excited for the movie’s release date. Margot Robbie was quoted in an interview saying that she didn’t want to play an “obvious” Barbie and that the movie will be “something totally different” than what all fans are expecting. The cast’s commentary on the film is only increasing the anticipation for opening day.

Since the trailer’s release, a Barbie movie poster trend has been circulating on social media. People are taking the background from the Barbie movie character profiles, and inserting other famous figures, or themselves, with a relevant tagline. All of these are being created using the barbieselfie.ai website, so you can make your very own if you’d like.

The release date is set for July 21, so even if you’re on the fence, you can go check it out just to escape the summer heat.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi! My name is Evan Jaynes and I'm a writer for HCTX. I'm excited to explore all sorts of different topics and build my portfolio! I love to read, workout, and eat lots of good food :)