“The Last of Us” Is Not Your Usual Zombie Show

With 7.5 million viewers tuning in on Sunday to watch the latest episode, HBO’s newest drama The Last Of Us (TLOU) continues to grow in popularity. Unsurprisingly, this program already has a sizable fanbase who were excited for its arrival because TLOU is an acclaimed story mode video game that was released in 2013. The television series is an adaption of the video game, which follows the story of Joel, who is tasked with escorting Ellie, a young girl, throughout the country in search of a band of rebels known as the Fireflies. The protagonists must battle for survival in this post-apocalyptic world against the infected and other survivors who are equally threatening. 

While I had heard of the video game previously, but never played it, I began the series with my boyfriend and was in for a ride of emotions. Every Sunday, a new episode is released to create anticipation and suspense, and each one generally leaves me and the rest of the audience wanting more.  If you do decide to watch an episode, be ready to be hooked as so much happens in the span of more than an hour, keeping you on the edge of your seat. The infected, on the other hand, occasionally only make brief appearances in an episode of TLOU, making it, unlike other zombie shows. I have seen some viewers complaining about the lack of infected, but the series truly takes its time to develop the characters and build their relationships. 

The infected are unlike anything I have ever seen when they do make their brief but frightening appearances. One such infected group is known as “clickers,” and although they cannot see you, they are among the most horrifying to me. They are deadlier and stronger than runners and stalkers (other forms of infected) because the longer the infected continue to live, they enter a newer and stronger stage. Although blind, they make loud clicking and shrieking sounds to locate sources of sound to find you. 

Even if zombies and horror aren’t your things, I believe that this show attracts viewers who are not part of its target audience. The story demonstrates loss, grief, and its ramifications without giving too much away. The fact that they also briefly discuss how women’s menstrual cycles are impacted at this time really caught my attention.  Tampons are discovered by the female protagonist, who places them in her backpack. In a later episode, she upgrades to a diva cup, which is the best option for her in a world where society has collapsed and necessities like menstrual products are scarce. 

I find the show to be quite enjoyable overall, and I always look forward to the release of the next episode. While I haven’t played the game, and my viewpoint may differ from someone else’s, most reviews I’ve seen have been favorable, especially after an episode fully dedicated to LGBTQ side characters provided a great representation of the community. The father-daughter-like bond between the two characters, their support of one another, and the young female protagonist’s sardonic wit make for a heartwarming viewing. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hello, my name is Cynthia, and I am a senior studying politics and sociology. I love to write and aspire to work as a political reporter.