The FSU Legacy Lives On: Former Marching Chiefs Nominated for Grammy Music Educator Award 

Out of the 1,200 nominations for the 2023 Grammy Music Educator Award, two of Florida State University’s (FSU) very own marching chiefs were seen as exemplary examples. The 10 finalists for this award include Ernesta Chicklowski and Jack Eaddy, who continue to share and represent their FSU legacy. The Music Educator Award is presented by the Recording Academy and the Grammy Museum. According to the Grammy Awards, it was “established to recognize current educators who have made a significant and lasting contribution to the field of music education and who demonstrate a commitment to the broader cause of maintaining music education.” The Marching Chiefs are FSU’s world-renowned marching band that has existed since 1939 when FSU was an all-women’s school. They are most famously known for their performance of FSU’s “War Chant” at their football games. They’re an extremely dedicated group of students with a passion for music, as they rehearse almost every day, even after football season has ended.

Ernesta Chicklowsi is currently a music teacher at Roosevelt Elementary School in Tampa, FL, and goes by “Ms. Chick.” She graduated from FSU in 1999 and was actively involved in the FSU Marching Chiefs during her time there. She played the French horn for several years and was drum major her senior year. While at Florida State, she earned her bachelor’s degree in music education. She is also the former president of the Florida Elementary Music Educators Association and noted that she was shocked and honored to be nominated. She told the Tallahassee Democrat, “It’s an opportunity to share more about music education… It’s a significant milestone for children to make gains in music.”

Chicklowsi’s fellow nominee, Jack Eaddy is currently the director of athletic bands and director of the Pride of the Mountains marching band at Western Carolina University. Like Chicklowski, he earned his bachelor’s in music education from FSU in 2002 and participated in the Marching Chiefs during his time as a student, holding the important leadership positions of saxophone section leader and drill assistant. He interviewed with the Tallahassee Democrat saying, “I wouldn’t be the director I am without my experience at FSU… I had people there who really make sure I hold honor to the traditions and principles of being a music educator.” After his time at Florida State, he earned his master’s in music from the University of Georgia and a doctoral degree in musical arts from the University of North Texas. 

This award and recognition are highlighted at a time when music education is rapidly declining throughout many United States public schools. Many schools that have had to either cut back or remove music education programs completely blame financial issues and the overall underfunding of schools as the culprit. Unfortunately, these cuts are hitting schools with students of color, immigrant students and low-income communities especially hard. Despite these cuts, music education has been shown to lead to many positive effects for students, such as better attendance and academic performance along with overall better confidence. FSU College of Music is making strides at improving music education rates through its extensive music education program, offering undergraduate, graduate and even doctoral degrees. The College of Music has noted that through their philosophy, they hope to not only help grow musical knowledge and complex thinking skills for students but also to use the arts to help students grow as individuals.  

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hannah Scheifele is a writer from Tampa and is an English Education major at FSU. She cares deeply about the environment and likes to read, exercise, do yoga, take pictures, and sew/crochet in her free time! Feel free to reach out to her on insta @hannah.sch_<3