Has the Online Hate Toward the ‘Bachelor’ Contestants Gone Too Far?

If you’re anything like me, then you’ve also been obsessing over the newest season of The Bachelor. With Joey Graziadei, this season’s bachelor, being basically perfect, and such a good cast of girls, it’s hard to wait for a new episode every week. Of course, as with any good season of The Bachelor, this promises good drama.

The drama on The Bachelor will always result in fans having a favorite and a so-called villain emerging. In this recent season, the biggest turmoil has been between contestants Maria Georgas and Sydney Gordon.

The two contestants began feuding after Gordon labeled Georgas as a bully, and things continued to escalate from there. The drama supposedly ended when Graziadei eliminated Gordon. However, social media users jumping in with their opinions on the two contestants has brought the drama to new levels, with much of the hate going toward Gordon.

A few days after the episode of Gordon being eliminated aired, she uploaded a short video on Instagram addressing the excessive hate she had been receiving. In the video, she’s visibly distraught over the hate comments and messages that have come her way. This brings into question if Bachelor fans, specifically social media users, go too far with their judgements of contestants.

In Gordon’s video, she shows audio messages of people attacking her character and explains that she has been receiving death threats and that she will be taking a break from social media. Every reality TV show contestant receives their fair share of hate, but it seems that The Bachelor fans take the hate too far.

I agree with Gordon completely that death threats and excessive hateful messages are unnecessary and shouldn’t be said about anyone. That being said, however, I think that online trolling is something that’s to be expected when going on a show like The Bachelor. If someone isn’t emotionally equipped to handle it, then they should definitely not sign up to be on reality TV. By signing up to be on a TV show where you are forced to be vulnerable and show your personality, you’re subjecting yourself to the public forming their own opinions of you and how you present yourself.

In the past, lots of Bachelor contestants have signed up to be on the show in hopes of gaining social media followers and brand sponsorships. When they don’t get the social media attention that they so badly want though, they seem to go back on their decision and retaliate against fans.

AZ Central explains how every Bachelor contestant has a strong love-hate relationship with the show regarding all of the outside hate they receive, which I completely understand. It’s definitely hard to have so many people who don’t know you personally attack you and your personality. I just think that taking your feelings to social media and retaliating against the hate usually will only lead to more hate.

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I think social media hate from fans will always come with reality shows, and that’s an important fact to consider before applying to be on said shows. Certain hateful words are unnecessary, but fans have a right to share their opinion on the show. If fans don’t like certain contestants, then they are justified to post how they feel, as long as they keep their comments respectful.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Sophie Sturiale is a staff writer at the Her Campus at Florida State chapter. She writes a variety of articles but enjoys focusing on local culture, fashion, and lifestyle content. Sophie is a second-year student at Florida State university, majoring in media communication studies with a minor in English. She was born and raised in Baltimore, Maryland and enjoys spending her free time traveling, shopping, cooking, and being with her friends.