Band on stage with pink, purple coloring in background
Photo by David Rodrigues

9 Tallahassee Artists Unveil the City’s Vibrant Indie Music Scene

When moving to Tallahassee from bigger cities such as Tampa or Miami, some students may feel that the quaint Florida capital is much duller than the bright lights and vibrant downtown life of the bustling city that they are used to. However, while Tallahassee may not have a wealth of large, flashy venues for local musicians, it does have an intensely vibrant indie music scene that shouldn’t be overlooked.

As a Tallahassee native, I’ve been shocked to discover that many FSU students haven’t had their eyes opened to the beauty that is local live music. Many great, low-key venues around town host both up-and-coming and already extremely popular bands for a meager price.

At FSU specifically, the Skate Club, the Music Industry Connection, and the Surf Club all host numerous events a semester in which they provide a platform for student bands to perform in front of their peers. Spencer Gaylord, a representative of the Skate Club, shared, “It’s good to consume local music to find the music you like, become part of a community, and go somewhere you can feel at home.” The excitement that comes with seeing a group of fellow students perform in front of a wildly animated crowd is unmatched!

unconvential bands

Some of the bands you may find playing in the artistic corners of Tallahassee full of unconventional melodies and vibrant Midwest emo-esc sound are Copyright Claim, Weather Boy, On the Edge, and Solomon Hill. All these bands differ wildly, but what they have in common is the ability to create a stellar environment everywhere they play.

copyright claim

Copyright Claim stuns audiences with their quirky outfits and dance moves juxtaposed with their emotionally gripping performances. They invite audiences to scream along with them to upbeat, invigorating instrumental.

Susannah Kratt from Copyright Claim said that she thinks consuming local music is important for students at FSU because “art is beneficial for everyone! The local music scene has a super diverse array of genres to discover, so there truly is something for everyone to enjoy.” Seeing them perform such complex music brings a level of energy everyone in the audience can feel.

weather boy

Weather Boy prefers a more relaxed, indie sound focusing on their remarkable ensemble of instruments to create wonderfully feel-good music. Members Jacob Da Costa and Aidan Suarez said their favorite part of being in this band is their “ability to make impacts on other people and build on the relationship the four of us created.” Through starting a band, they’ve been able to both create new relationships with musicians in the community and enhance their relationships with each other.

on the edge

On the Edge performs songs that are super catchy with lyrics that encapsulate the young college student experience. Audiences at their shows have the pleasure of rocking out to hard-hitting vocals with guitar, bass, and drum playing that makes it impossible not to dance along.

solomon hill

Solomon Hill never fails to bring a high level of emotion into every performance. Their music clashes beautifully melodic instrumentals with hard-hitting vocals and poignant lyrics. Watching them scream and thrash around is intensely cathartic for anyone who watches.

chill indie vibes

Outside of the FSU campus, you’ll be able to find a larger variety of exceptionally talented musicians playing at venues such as The Bark, The Warrior on the River, Goldie Sound Productions, 96 Nation, and many more! These venues draw an eclectic, music-loving crowd to pair with the array of different genres that perform.

Some local artists you may find around town with a relaxing, indie sound are Danitza and Sleep John B. These shows create a serene, contemplative vibe that will bring relaxation to even the most stressed student.

danita paz

Danitza Paz is a local indie artist who recently performed at the FSU vs. Duke basketball game. Paz has a unique sound that integrates elements of R&B, pop, and even some jazz.

When asked about why she has such a profound appreciation for music she shared, “It’s not really a choice for me, songwriting and expressing myself through music keeps me sane and happy.” This passion for music has been reinforced by the support coming from the Tallahassee community. “I never expected this much love and support from the community. It pushes me every day to be better,” she said.

With her voice that can go from being soft and angelic to powerful and striking paired with an extremely talented band, Paz is a musical must-see.

sleep john b

Sleep John B’s performances feel like group therapy. His music is fiercely emotional which he’d agree with, as he says his favorite part of his music is that “creating music allows a sense of catharsis that is endlessly therapeutic, healing, and inspiring.” I would highly recommend going to one of his shows to see the raw, powerful passion he displays in his art.

rock and roll

Some other absolutely rockin’ bands you can find around the capital include Pineapple Tuesday, Thunder the Snake, and, fittingly, the Rockodilians. These bands bring a refreshingly revitalizing take to classic rock and roll and thrash metal with their unique interpretation of these genres.

pineapple tuesday

Pineapple Tuesday is a band full of some of the most creative musicians in the area. Lead singer Andrew Falls shared that “making music is like making magic.” He also said his band loves it when students become involved in local music because being a student can be stressful. “People often don’t realize how music and dancing can be the key to letting go of that stress,” he says.

The band is known for their quirky, charming performances incorporating a variety of experienced instrumentalists with their out-of-the-box presentation of classic rock and roll.

thunder the snake

Thunder the Snake is another band bringing high-quality rock to Tally. Their sound is intense, rhythmic, polished, and reminiscent of another time in the best way. Walter Moccasin, the bass player, said supporting local music is important because “it’s a way of being exposed to new and different things, even bringing light to a subject you know nothing about.”

Going to one of their shows feels like being transported back to the classic 1980s hardcore rocker vibe, Satanic Panic style. I’d recommend them to any student who needs to rock their stress away!

the rockodilians

The Rockodilians are a staple of Tallahassee metal. The passion this band has for the genres they are taking part in is clear at every performance. Troy Najdowski, the drummer, stated that his favorite part of performing is “seeing the crowd react/move to our music. Watching our music affect people is an amazing feeling.” Whether it’s doom, thrash, or punk-style metal, they bring a new, invigorating perspective with infectious energy.

If after reading this you’re itching to listen to some of what Tallahassee has to offer, I made a playlist accumulating some of the released music from a number of these bands. I hope that you’ll give them a listen and consider going to a live show soon to support Tallahassee’s local artists!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Grace Myatt is a Freshman writer at Florida State University's chapter of Her Campus. She covers topics from fashion to music to local news! She is a student at Florida State University who is the Director of Community Service at Alpha Gamma Delta where she assists in planning volunteer events that coincide with AGD's mission of fighting hunger. Along with writing for Her Campus, she is a news staffer for the FSView, FSU's local newspaper which is professionally published under the Gannett Company and covers on-campus events along with state politics. She is currently working to obtain a degree in English: Editing, Writing, and Media with a minor in Philosophy. When it comes to her hobbies, Grace adores makeup and fashion. She loves to create out-of-the-box looks on her face and also creates eclectic outfits to share on social media. She also loves movies and music and finds much joy in analyzing these types of media. Overall, she has a fond appreciation for all types of art and intends to share this love through her writing.