Stevie Nicks and the Six: The Inspiration Behind “Daisy Jones and the Six”

While Taylor Jenkins Reid has amassed quite a loyal following since she released the novel Daisy Jones and the Six in 2019, her story continues to capture the hearts of many more as it takes on the silver screen. Yet this narrative of a 70’s rock band might turn out to be a bit more “silver” than it seems. For those wondering if the fictional Daisy Jones and Billy Dunne were based on real people, the simple answer is no. However, one won’t have to look far before finding another rock band that shares a similar story to that of The Six, and it is none other than the iconic band Fleetwood Mac. 

Like The Dunne Brothers, Fleetwood Mac’s introduction into the music industry was swift. After one of their first hits “Albatross” reached number one in the UK, their fame continued to grow steadily. Beginning as a British blues band, Fleetwood Mac worked to create a name for themselves, which was difficult without dependable band members. And until 1974, the band struggled to find musicians who could withstand the drama, drugs and demands of taking part in such a large project.

Yet things began to take a turn in a new direction for this British band as they ventured into the United States to fight for the rights to their name. Although this move may have been unsettling, it would be the launching pad the band truly needed to soar. After all, this kind of drastic move was exactly what The Dunne Brothers needed when they took their music from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Los Angeles, California. 

Similar to how The Six—formerly the Dunne Brothers—were reluctant to allow Daisy to join their band, the members of Fleetwood Mac were hesitant to include rising star Stevie Nicks, which is difficult to imagine now. However, it appears that both The Six and Fleetwood Mac were all the better for it. With the inclusion of Stevie Nicks and her boyfriend at the time, Lindsey Buckingham, Fleetwood Mac’s sound would begin to shift to the American rock band that is known and loved today. 

With the release of their smash hit album Rumours, Fleetwood Mac was on the fast path to worldwide recognition. But despite the album’s success, the band itself seemed to be coming apart at the seams. In fact, lead singers Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham were amid a chaotic breakup as the writing and recording for Rumours were coming together. And like true artists, these emotions and experiences easily bled into the making of this album. By listening closely, one can piece together the conversation that Nicks and Buckingham were tossing back and forth. From “Second Hand News” to “Dreams,” Nicks’s and Buckingham’s exchanges can be heard clearly throughout the entire album. 

This was not unlike the way Daisy Jones and Billy Dunne used their writing to communicate their not-so-subtle feelings at any given time. The Six’s release of Aurora featured many tracks that appeared to be Daisy and Billy’s unspoken words that were sung instead. Songs like “More Fun to Miss” and “Let Me Down Easy” were never coded messages but more like flashing neon signs between the two. 

Although both bands proceeded to perform together, things would come to a head as both female leads would make it crystal clear who exactly they were singing to. For Daisy Jones, it would be her performance of “Regret Me” where she pointedly sings at Billy Dunne, “Go ahead and regret me / But I always will too, regret you.” Even though Jones’s performance delivered quite the sting, it falls second to the palpable tension felt when Fleetwood Mac reunited in 1997 for the recording of The Dance. Nicks was finally able to deliver “Silver Springs” directly to its intended audience, Buckingham. 

At that moment on stage, Nicks submitted to the emotional turmoil she felt during those years with Buckingham and sang the lines, “Time cast a spell on you, but you won’t forget me / I know I could have loved you but you would not let me.” And to twist the knife even further, she stares down Buckingham as she passionately sings, “I’ll follow you down ‘til the sound of my voice will haunt you / You’ll never get away from the sound of the woman that loves you.” I think everyone will be haunted by Nicks’ voice after that incredible performance. 

Despite the turmoil both bands have experienced, their music still reigns supreme. Taylor Jenkins Reid provided her audience with an engaging story, and from that fans were able to obtain an entire album of songs reminiscent of the one and only Fleetwood Mac. Each album should be listened to in its own right; however, it is always entertaining to try and draw connections between the two. Stars like Stevie Nicks and Daisy Jones were bound to cross paths eventually.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Kaley Hoppenworth is a Content Editor at the Her Campus at FSU chapter. As an editor, she oversees a group of writers with their articles. Additionally, she provides individualized feedback for each writer to help guide them through their writing journey at Her Campus. Outside of Her Campus at FSU, Kaley volunteers with multiple community organizations within the Tallahassee area. Her connection to the FSU and Tallahassee community enables her to bring relevant perspectives as an editor and writer for the chapter. In her free time, she can be found at one of the lovely local coffee shops within the Tallahassee area. She considers curating her Pinterest feed a part-time hobby as well as a source of inspiration for her style, journaling, and crochet projects.