Ranking the Songs From Gracie Abrams’ New Album: “Good Riddance”

On Jan. 9, Gracie Abrams announced her new album Good Riddance was coming out on Feb. 24. In earnest anticipation, I listened to it as soon as it dropped. Now, after some time has gone by, here is my definitive ranking of every song.

12. “Fault line”

One of them HAD to be last. I did not dislike this song by any means, but I just thought every other song was better. The song doesn’t really progress, and it stays very much the same throughout which makes it a little more forgettable. 

11. “Amalie”

Similar to “Fault Line,” I just think this song is harder to remember because of its calm nature and little variation in melody. I think the chorus and the lyrics are pretty and I am sure with time this song would rank higher on my list.

10. “Right Now”

This is the perfect song for when you are lying in bed at 3 a.m. and spiraling over all your life decisions. I have to be in the right mood for this song or else it could be either too boring or too depressing and bring my whole mood down.

9. “Difficult”

I love to listen to this when I want a song with self-deprecating lyrics, but I also want to dance at the same time. Struggling with both a breakup and identity, Abram writes a song where you just want to dance and sing your sadness away. 

8. “I should hate you”

This song is a perfect blend of both anger and sadness. Not knowing where your feelings lie towards someone, you can either listen to this while crying in your bed or you can let all your frustrations out and pretend like you’re screaming at that certain someone. 

7. “The blue”

This song makes me feel so warm. It feels like the beginning phase of a relationship where you’re nervous to start something new but you’re falling anyway, and everything just feels so right. I can see myself driving during sunset and thinking of my boyfriend while listening to this song. 

6. “Full Machine”

I had a hard time deciding whether or not this would be in the top five and it almost made it had it not been for the next song. The production is my favorite thing and I just overall think this is just so good and I would always be in the mood to turn it on. 

5. “Will you cry?”

This is definitely one of the more vulnerable songs about the pain from her relationship that she talks about throughout this album and that’s what I love about this song. I think the lyrics are honest and even when they start getting repetitive after a while, I didn’t get bored.

4. “This is what the drugs are for”

The combination of the piano, guitar, lyrics and her voice makes this one of the prettiest and saddest songs that I’ve listened to from her. You can definitely hear her pain through her singing and the instruments, and I would definitely put this on when I’m low and I just need to cry it out.

3. “Best”

I usually NEVER like the first song of any album right away but this one got me instantly. I felt like she was taking me on a journey with the instrumentals and the lyrics that were talking about her wrongs in a relationship. This has my favorite bridge from the entire album, and I could just listen to it forever. 

2. “I know it won’t work”

Even though I am in a very happy relationship, I scream the chorus of this Every. Single. Time. This became an instant TikTok favorite, and I can’t blame anyone, especially when watching the live performance as well. Honestly, I think this could also go in the number one spot depending on my mood.

1. “Where do we go now?”

I’m biased as I knew this song would be first regardless of any of the other songs. And I stand by that decision. When it came out as a single, I listened to it nonstop, and I just think it’s so catchy and upbeat with also good lyrics. Definitely her first single from this album for a reason.

Check out Gracie’s new album on Spotify!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

A first year majoring in Editing, Writing and Media. Lover of books and all things Taylor Swift :)