Bottoms, directed by Emma Seligman, is the raunchy teenage comedy we have all been waiting for. From high school stereotypes to quirky feminist quips, this movie may be one of the funniest of the year.

One of my favorite actresses of all time, Rachel Sennott, is one of the main stars of this film, as well as a co-writer. She and Ayo Edebiri play PJ and Josie, the main characters who give us the funniest dialogue throughout the film. Some other actors from this star-studded cast are Nicholas Galitzine, Kaia Gerber, and Ruby Cruz.

PJ and Josie bring us through high school as they create a fight club for women. These girls, known as the “Ugly, Untalented Gays,” wish to create this club so they can get girlfriends on the cheer team. They do this by using an elaborate lie that they have been in juvie and know how to defend themselves. Bizarrely, this plan works and their fight club is soon the most popular club on campus, even for the “normal girls.” All this goes on while the football team is coming up on the biggest rival game that has happened for years. It is messy, bloody, dark, and comedic while also showing audiences the power of vulnerability and friendships.

I love the emphasis on feminine energy, female friendships, and their importance. My connections with my girlfriends are the most valuable to me and I love how this movie leans into how safe having these connections makes you feel. I also love that this movie touches on the social climate we live in and the backward views that still infiltrate our society when it comes to what feminism is. There are characters that you can tell are written to be out of touch and even though it is all so hilarious, you still feel the effects people with these views have on society. I wouldn’t say this movie is a classic feminist anthem, but I would say that it touches on super essential topics using satire.

I give major props to Emma Seligman who did a great job with Bottoms, this being only her second film. Her debut film Shiva Baby also features Rachel Sennott, who is a stubborn lesbian who attends a chaos-filled Jewish funeral service with her family. I love Emma Seligman’s unique takes on high school tropes and feminism and how she intertwines all of this with comedy.

Bottoms isn’t afraid to be loud, especially in creating a space for queer women. We don’t often have fun, teenage coming-of-age films where the main characters are lesbians. It’s refreshing to have a women-focused film featuring lesbian relationships and friendships. I love the high school teenage chick flick feel this movie has because we girls have been waiting for a movie like this.

If you haven’t seen Bottoms, get going to the movie theater so you can experience the chaos and fun of this film on the big screen. I promise you will have the time of your life!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Delaney Reilly is a staff writer at Her Campus FSU, majoring in instrumental music education. Beyond Her Campus, Delaney is a part of multiple organizations in the college of music. She is in the world-renowned marching chiefs, along with the University Philharmonic Orchestra, NAfME, and ASTA. When she isn’t writing or playing her instruments, Delaney is busy watching movies and traveling! https://www.linkedin.com/in/delaney-reilly-64b64817b