My Favorite Fan-Made “Outer Banks” Theories

The hit Netflix show Outer Banks was released in April 2020, about a month after the world shut down for COVID-19. According to the National Library of Medicine, the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a global pandemic on March 11, 2020. With schools and offices closing during quarantine, people had to find various ways to entertain themselves. Some started new businesses from home, some attempted new workouts and some cozied up on the couch to binge-watch their favorite Netflix shows, making Outer Banks a perfectly-timed release.

Since the first season’s release, Gen Z has taken it to social media, particularly TikTok, to share their “OBX” theories (and some JJ edits). I’ve compiled a, by no means conclusive, list of some of my favorite fan theories and whether I think they are likely to be a real part of the show. So here they are (in no particular order).

Kie and JJ Will Get Together

Kiara and JJ’s potential relationship shows us the power of social media, especially TikTok. Writer Josh Pate admitted that this relationship wasn’t originally in the books for the characters, but after seeing all the support from the fans, he was willing to consider it. “That took us by surprise, like the audience’s reaction to JJ and Kiara and rooting for that romance.”

Personally, as much as I love Pope, I’m 100 percent team JJ, and apparently, Madison Bailey is too. “I’m team JJ because it’s unexpected. We did not plan it at all and I think it would be so interesting to see something that was completely created 100 percent by the fans.” You can watch this interview with Madison, Rudy and Jonathan here. I asked my Instagram who they wanted Kie to be with this season: JJ, John B, Pope or Rafe (Yes, Rafe, watch Tik Tok edits if you’re confused), and JJ received 53 percent of the votes, so we’ll see!

Pope and Cleo Will Have a Romance

Another romantic one, fans have noticed some chemistry between the Pogue-newcomer and Pope. Personally, I am all for this, after Kie broke his heart, his character deserves a happy ending! After actress Carlacia Grant joined the cast as Cleo from the Caribbean in season two, she quickly became one of the core five.

Grant, however, is worried about Cleo’s assimilation and voiced her concerns in an interview with Elite Daily. “I think it’s going to be very hard for her in the beginning. She’s not going to be able to walk around with a knife in her hand, which will make her uncomfortable… will she go to school? … And the accent. Is that gonna cause issues for her? There are so many ways this can go.” However, based on what we’ve seen in the past season, Cleo will continue fighting for what she wants, and I think it will make this transition a bit more interesting. I’m excited to see her storyline continue this next season.

John B’s Bandana is the Shroud

Various TikTok users have theorized that the bandana John B always wears has mystical powers. In the second season, the new character Carla Limbrey is searching for a legendary shroud that will stave off her imminent death. But some fans think the Pogues already have this shroud, and that it’s John B’s bandana.

Where did this theory come from? Well, fans noticed that John B was wearing the bandana after he got in a deadly tangle with an alligator and also when Sarah had her near-death experience after being shot in the abdomen.  I don’t really believe this theory, but it’s interesting how much thought has been put into it. I think John’s bandana is of sentimental value, which is why he wears it a lot. If you wear something often enough, it will be present in big moments of your life, statistically speaking.

Rafe Will Have A New Love Interest

Now this one is super interesting and has confused me recently. Last summer, the official Outer Banks Instagram account announced several new additions to the cast. The one that got the most attention was a potential new love interest for our favorite psycho man, Rafe. The account posted about “Sofia,” a Kook-dreaming Pogue played by Fiona Palomo. Now here’s the confusing part. This new character wasn’t in the trailer at all, and not much has been said about her since. I’m still hoping Rafe will have a love interest, but I’m getting increasingly skeptical of this happening.

This Season Will Have Magic

When I said this was a list of my favorite theories, let’s change that to the most intriguing theories because I’m hoping this one doesn’t come true. Fans are worried that this season will introduce magic and take a strange route like CW’s Riverdale, which would be the worst possible decision they could make. A scene in the trailer shows a concrete sculpture with eyes that appear to glow, and that, coupled with the bandana theory, sparked these rumors. We can only hope they don’t take this route, but if they do, let’s hope they do it well. Fingers crossed.

So, we’ll see on Feb. 23 which, if any, of these fan theories will come true. And no matter what happens, TikTok fans will be making edit after edit of the new season. Can’t wait!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hey, I'm Chloe and I'm a senior at Florida State! I'm a staff writer at HerCampus FSU and a fun fact about me is that I'm also a certified lifeguard! I love hammocking and reading outside and I'm always down to go for a swim!