The Presidents of the United States have been doing a State of the Union Address every year since 1790, however, one could argue that this one was the craziest to watch.

Every year, the President puts together a speech to present to Congress on his progress and future for the nation. President Biden made sure to make his progress a focal point in his speech, especially due to his 41 percent approval rating. With a rumored 2024 re-election campaign, he ensured that his audience knew of the advances he led in the nation.

Biden notes explicitly the 12 million new jobs his administration created in two years, the nation’s recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, the United States aid in Ukraine, the bipartisan infrastructure law, expanded healthcare for veterans, and the lowest unemployment rate in 50 years. He also names the Violence Against Women Act, the Electoral Count Reform Act and the Respect for Marriage Act from the 300 bills he signed.

He also works to unite Congress, Republicans and Democrats alike, through his speech. However, there seemed to be some tension on the floor between the two groups when Biden mentioned Medicare and Social Security cuts.

“Instead of making the wealthy pay their fair share, some Republicans, some Republicans want Medicare and Social Security to sunset,” Biden stated during the address. This induced loud boos from many Republicans in the room. He then claims to have the proposal for the Medicare and Social Security cuts, and for anyone who would like to see it to contact his office. In response to this, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) shouts out “liar.”

In response to the outrage, Biden ingeniously uses this opportunity to trick Republicans into agreeing on zero cuts to Social Security or Medicare.

However, this wasn’t the only time that Republicans clashed with the President during this speech. When talking about the fentanyl crisis and his proposed solution, heckles from Republican lawmakers were heard, some yelling out “Border!,” and others claiming, “It’s your fault.”

The jeering went so far that even the newly elected Republican Speaker of the House, Kevin McCarthy, had to shush his own party down. He had to do this again later when the President spoke on immigration reform.

Despite the address being meant to highlight the President and his administration’s work, one of the most must-see moments didn’t even surround the President or his accomplishments.

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT) and Rep. George Santos (R-NY) got into a public spat shortly before the President’s speech. Rep. Santos has a plethora of controversy surrounding him, specifically about exaggerating his resume and being untruthful about his personal life.

On the floor, Sen. Romney appears to tell Rep. Santos that he “[doesn’t] belong here.”

Sen. Mitt Romney does not stop there, however, and labeled him “a sick puppy” to reporters.

Shortly after the interaction, Rep. Santos posted to Twitter: “Hey @MittRomney just a reminder that you will NEVER be PRESIDENT!”

Despite the seemingly endless drama on the floor, there were some good moments during the speech as well.

As a tradition, all Presidents bring a few guests to the State of the Union address. This time, President Biden brought Tyre Nichols’s parents to highlight the issue of police brutality in America. His parents received a standing ovation from both parties, once again uniting the divided nation.

And last but certainly not least, viewers witnessed saw a sweet moment between Vice President Kamala Harris and Speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy shortly before the speech. The two seemed to be having a friendly chat, showing that despite political differences, we are still able to get along with one another.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Reese Hrannarsson is a staff writer at the Her Campus at Florida State University chapter. She writes bi-weekly articles surrounding personal, culture, and campus topics. Beyond Her Campus, Reese is the Director of Finance for Florida State University's Women Student Union and the Secretary for the Women In Government club. She is a sophomore majoring in Political Science and Economics and is interested in working in government. In her free time, Reese enjoys going biking and spending time with family and friends. She also loves travelling and hopes to travel to every U.S. capital.