With so many amazing new releases this year, I wanted to focus on one that I am excited about! Napoleon, directed by Ridley Scott, is releasing in theaters this Thanksgiving weekend on Nov. 22! I am especially hyped to see Joaquin Phoenix starring as Napoleon as he is arguably one of the best actors around. The official trailer for this movie promises viewers an epic historical drama, showcasing the rise of Napoleon Bonaparte as a leader and his charged relationship with Josèphine Bonaparte. Napoleon is one of the most well-known military commanders, but I am excited to see what light this movie paints him in.

Alright, let’s get into the history. If you are not familiar with Napoleon, he is France’s most famous military commander. He was born in 1769, just before the French Revolution began. This social upheaval redefined France and the powers of the government and led to the rise of Napoleon as a leader. With formal military training, Napoleon led and fought in more than 80 battles due to his brilliance and strategy. His reform in military and higher education ideals are still popular and in use today. Plus, as a music major, I geeked out a little to learn that Beethoven actually was inspired to write his third symphony based on Napoleon and his ideals. How cool is that?!

However, the character of Napoleon has been argued about for centuries. He has been called both magnificent as well as a tyrant. Napoleon’s rise to fame came after the French Revolution and the instability of France’s government. He used his respected reputation as an officer to overthrow the government and establish the first Consulate of France, though it has been argued that he succeeded only because of a rigged election. He also has been called a bully and unstable, having a hot head and causing tension with people around him. I am interested to see what direction this movie goes with these claims and how Napoleon is perceived by Scott.

Another part of this movie I am excited to see is Vanessa Kirby starring as Josèphine Bonaparte. I feel like in some history movies we never get to see or hear from women, so I am pleased to see that this movie has a main woman character. Josèphine Bonaparte is interesting as she barely escaped the guillotine before marrying Napoleon. What?? Josephine’s first husband, Alexandre De Beauharnais, was guillotined during France’s Reign of Terror, obviously leaving Josèphine to also be viewed poorly. However, she soon ended up becoming enamored by Napoleon and they got married (spoiler alert: they did not stay married). I think Josèphine’s character will bring something new to the table as a woman figure in history and I am thrilled to see Vanessa Kirby kill this role!

Also, I love Ridley Scott! If you haven’t heard of him, the director is well-known for his sci-fi movies and historical dramas. Gladiator is his most successful film, telling the story of a Roman general who becomes Rome’s most popular gladiator. Russell Crowe stars as the main character and funny enough, Joaquin Phoenix also stars in this film! Gladiator is one of my favorite movies; this surprised me because I am usually not a huge fan of battle-type movies. Scott’s storytelling is just unmatched. With a background in fine art, his cinematography and eye for shots are amazing. Other than looking forward to Napoleon, I’m looking forward to Gladiator 2, which is supposedly coming out in 2024! Yay, history!

If you are a history nerd like me, I hope you can go and enjoy Napoleon on the big screen! It is sure to be action-packed but also filled with history and drama (gotta love it). If you feel so moved by it, make sure to check out the four-hour director’s cut that will be released later. You know what they say… Viva Le Cinema!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Delaney Reilly is a staff writer at Her Campus FSU, majoring in instrumental music education. Beyond Her Campus, Delaney is a part of multiple organizations in the college of music. She is in the world-renowned marching chiefs, along with the University Philharmonic Orchestra, NAfME, and ASTA. When she isn’t writing or playing her instruments, Delaney is busy watching movies and traveling! https://www.linkedin.com/in/delaney-reilly-64b64817b