Got Blood? Red Cross Incentivizes Donations With Snoopy T-shirts

Since the global COVID-19 lockdowns of 2020, supply chain shortages have affected the online retail market. High retail rates have delayed shipping times, increased prices for scarce products like eggs, and caused labor shortages alongside low product stock. Three years later, the deficits have continued; pharmaceuticals and the medical market are targeted industries now at risk. As 2023 reaches the spring months, there have been shortages of pain reliever remedies like acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Children’s amoxicillin is reportedly at an “acute shortage” level, and Adderall (a prescriptive medicine for ADHD) has faced intermittent manufacturing delays.

Besides the overall scarce supply of prescriptive and over-the-counter drugs, blood is the latest product at risk. Blood centers across the United States have declared emergency critical shortage amounts with donor rates lower than they were during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, what differentiates a blood shortage from the average product shortage is the solution to solve the scarcity. Supply chain issues take time to mend; they involve economic and political action taken. The shortage of blood is derived from a shortage of blood donors — whose numbers have also been at their lowest since the height of the pandemic.

The American Red Cross, a non-profit humanitarian organization, has faced the impacts of these blood shortages as their supply cannot reach the demand for blood needed. So, to incentivize blood donations, the Red Cross has launched a campaign lasting from April 1 to April 23. Per the campaign, every donor who gives blood will receive a free T-shirt that has Snoopy wearing sunglasses with the Red Cross symbol; the T-shirt includes text that says “Be cool. Give blood.” 

The T-shirt, with its catchy slogan, has recently gone viral via TikTik with videos of Red Cross donors displaying the shirt and bringing attention to its design. Snoopy, who stars in the Peanuts comic strip and films, has been the focal point of the campaign. 

With the shirt’s viral status on TikTok, several comments on TikTok videos and the American Red Cross’ Instagram account have featured users expressing their desire to get the Snoopy Red Cross t-shirt. However, as the only way to don the shirt is to donate, the Red Cross has found a human solution to a human issue. Darren Irby, the executive director of national brand partnerships at the American Red Cross, has reported that “blood donations have risen by more than 40% compared to the week before the “Peanuts” partnership…”

Although donors might donate for the sake of receiving a t-shirt, their efforts will help to alleviate the effects of a blood shortage. As typical with popular products, “dupes” and re-sellers have offered the exclusive shirt for sale on sites like Etsy and Mercari. However, there is no reported data on the effects that these reseller sites have had on donor participation. 

Only 3 percent of eligible donors give blood yearly and the Red Cross provides over 40 percent of the total blood supply. The shortages continue, though they are not as severe. Blood is needed for sickle cell disease, cancer, blood transfusions, and so much more. If donating blood, make sure to eat an iron-rich meal, get rest, and hydrate well. The Red Cross and Peanuts partnership will last until Sunday, April 23. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Victoria is a Sophomore at Florida State University. She's been at Her Campus FSU since her Freshman fall and currently edits articles for her writer team! In her free time, she enjoys adding to her collection of 100+ Spotify playlists and finding more female-oriented books with unlikeable protagonists. Besides reading and writing, she also enjoys deep cleaning her house and binge-watching TV shows.