Culture > Digital

Five Things You Need to Know About the Indie Boy Aesthetic

Have you seen a man sporting slightly oversized clothing, a beanie in 80-degree weather and wired headphones? No, I’m not describing an English major (though he could be one), I’m talking about an Indie boy. According to Urban Dictionary, an Indie boy can be defined as, “[a] boy with curly/shabby cute hair, usually brown or black; amazing style fitted black or blue jeans; either vintage tee or an American Apparel V-neck; can name at least 100 bands off the top of his head that you haven’t heard of.” They are taking over TikTok and probably your college campus. So, for all of my Indie babes out there looking to embrace the aesthetic, here are five things you need to know. 

1. Know that thrifting is the only way to shop

This one may have been a given, but it is essential to mention. Thrift stores are the perfect places to find the weathered and oversized aesthetic that is Indie boy core. You may even meet an Indie boy while shopping there. Not to mention, it is also a fun activity to do with friends or as a first date. Of course, there’s also the added bonus of shopping sustainably. For more inspiration, check this TikTok out!

@thebeekid

thrifting in my college town 🤭💓i was not expecting this tbh

♬ Oblivion – Grimes

2. LEARN TO ROCK THE OVERSIZED LOOK

Putting together the perfect Indie outfit is a combination of layering and accessories. No leggings or skinny jeans here! Pick out a slightly bigger pair of jeans, pair it with your favorite band t-shirt, make sure you have a ring on each finger and you are ready to go. 

3. Start carrying a tote bag

The only acceptable bag to carry with you if you are going for the Indie boy aesthetic is the tote bag. Any style will work, but a plain beige or white one is really the look to go for. Inside, you’ll make sure to always carry a book—doesn’t matter whether or not you are actually reading it — chapstick and other essentials. Bonus points if you have the original Apple wired headphones to listen to your music as you walk around. 

4. step out in a pair of dr. martens

Dr. Martens are the ultimate staple of the Indie wardrobe. While they are on the expensive side, they last forever. The following are some of the styles that will always be on-trend: The 1461 Oxford Shoes, for a classic preppy look. The 1461 Platform shoes, if you like that classic look but are also obsessed with platforms like me. And of course, the fan favorites and the ones that I have in my own closet, the Jadon Boot Pisa Platforms. This is a boot you can rock with anything. Just make sure to leave time to break in your new Docs before your first album listening party. 

@max4cracks

Shes looking for a husband dressed as a bad guy from home alone #indie #indiegirl #alt #drmartens

♬ original sound – ibuprofenbarbie

5. Listen to indie music

Most importantly, you must familiarize yourself with the bands and artists that the Indie boys could name-drop at any time. A few to add to your playlist are The Smiths, Arctic Monkeys, The Cure, Tame Impala, Maggie Rogers, The Wallows and Foster the People. 

Now you are ready to embrace the Indie boy aesthetic, and you can be the one name-dropping underground bands that no one has heard of. Wear what you want and look good while doing it, Indie babes!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi, I am Sophie Kish and I am an aspiring creator. Through my work I am looking to connect with countless women, and create a community. I want to uplift all women so they have the confidence to slay everyday! Pa'lante y Pa'lante