grey cats
grey cats
Patricia Sietz

Fat Cat Books: The Perfect Place for Cat and Book Lovers

Fat Cat Books, located in Railroad Square, is ideal for cat and book lovers. One of the hardest things for me was leaving my childhood cats when I moved to Tallahassee. I grew up with cats, so I have always been a cat lover. Luckily, I found out about Fat Cat Books, which is a bookstore filled with so many cool used books! Many popular series, such as Twilight and Harry Potter, can be found on their shelves. Their selection is limitless, and each shelf is categorized by genre. They have books to appeal to a wide range of individuals; they have manga, romance, self-help books, and so much more!  

My favorite thing about Fat Cat Books is that every purchase benefits the cats. You can even adopt any of the cats you see in the bookstore, which is fantastic because I am a huge believer in adopt, don’t shop! When my friends from back home come to visit, I always bring them here since they enjoy it just as much as I do. The cats are always quite playful, and there are toys all over the place. Even if you do not find a book, you can still donate money to the cats. Each cat has a jar with their name and picture on it. I also like that they have adoptable cats who are young, old, have special needs, and so on! They have not only small young cats but also senior cats who are frequently disregarded when people are looking to adopt. The books are also reasonably priced and the staff has always been very welcoming.  

They also have a cute café named “Fat Cat Café” with additional adoptable cats. It’s a café with cats instead of a bookstore! I’ve been here a few times, but the bookstore will always have a special place in my heart. Fat Cat Books is like a home away from home for me, and one of the things I used to miss about home was my kitties. My childhood pets would cheer me up whenever I was sad or anxious. They were quite literally my emotional support pets. So, when I initially moved out of my house, it took me a while to adjust to life without a cat because I was usually surrounded by them. It’s so nice that this place is close to campus because whenever I’m anxious or need to relax my mind, I go to the bookstore and play with the sweet cats, which is incredibly therapeutic. 

Usually, most adoption places have the cats in cages for you to view. Fat Cat Books is different; they allow the cats to roam freely around the store. It also feels good knowing that all the proceeds are going to a good cause. Its location is also great! If you are unfamiliar with Railroad Square, there are other businesses nearby where you may grab a bite to eat after petting some kitties or take a nice stroll. So, if you love books or just love cats, then check out Fat Cat Books which is open on most days besides Monday and Tuesday. For more information regarding Fat Cat Books, click here!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest! 

Hello, my name is Cynthia, and I am a senior studying politics and sociology. I love to write and aspire to work as a political reporter.