Fall Into the Couch: Binge-Worthy Movies and TV Shows to Rewatch This Season

Imagine you’ve just heard the opening guitar strum of “There She Goes” by The La’s and had a visceral reaction in public. If you’re anything like me, you know exactly what those guitar strums signal: the start of Gilmore Girls rewatch season. After all, you can’t spell autumn without Gilmore Girls or When Harry Met Sally. I’m getting ahead of myself. As passionate as I am about fall, I understand that there might be those of you mourning the loss of summer, so this one is for you. I have just the thing to get you hyped to kick off pumpkin spice latte and crunchy leaf sweater-weather season.

Behold! A carefully curated list of the top six most “fall” movies and TV shows that are perfect for the cozy binge-away-on-your-couch days to come.

6. The Vampire Diaries

I know it’s soon, but I have to confess — the only reason The Vampire Diaries isn’t higher on the list is because I never finished watching it. I know, I’m a hypocrite, I’m sorry! I definitely could be bullied into finishing it though. Vampires? Love triangles between two brothers? A cutesy small town called “Mystic Falls?” It’s the fall version of The Summer I Turned Pretty, which means it’s made for the transition from summer to fall and is a show that needs to be on your TV (and mine) right now.

5. Gossip Girl

Gossip Girl is truly the epitome of fall. It has it all: back-to-school season, fall fashion inspiration, and truly the most iconic Thanksgiving episode of all time. Three words. 13 letters. Say them and you’ll be transported to a dinner table where everyone is passive-aggressively making comments to one another before dramatically walking out. If you sang “Whatcha Say” and were able to visually picture this scene, I applaud you. If not? It’s time for a refresher.

4. Dead Poets Society

Like the transformative and cathartic nature of the autumn season, Dead Poets Society is the quintessential coming-of-age tale. It happens to be set against the backdrop of a New England boarding school during the fall. It features so many perfect performances, including Robin Williams in his fullest form, that are guaranteed to make you shed a few (or perhaps a million) tears.

3. Practical Magic

Practical Magic is a late ’90s movie with a bewitching blend of romance, magic, and sisterhood. It stars Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman with fantastic hair and enviable wardrobes, all happening in the most beautiful fall scenery. Simply put, it’s a cinematic experience that will leave you feeling spellbound and ready to embrace the magic of fall. What more could you want?

2. Fantastic Mr. Fox

Wes Anderson said “Take five” and George Clooney heard “Change lives.” I mean honestly, any Wes Anderson film could fit the bill for quintessential fall vibes, but Fantastic Mr. Fox takes the cake for me. The color scheme alone could get even the most dedicated autumn hater to have a change of heart. After all, if dapperly-dressed woodland creatures frolicking around the English countryside in an orange and yellow color palette don’t do the trick, truly what could?

1. a tie between Gilmore Girls and When Harry Met Sally

I think I can confidently say that no one is surprised to see these two share the top spot. Gilmore Girls and When Harry Met Sally are both equally synonymous with fall. I mean, the Stars Hollow Autumn Festival? That one scene where Harry and Sally are walking through Central Park in fall at its peak? But that’s not the only thing the show and movie have in common.

Both Gilmore Girls and When Harry Met Sally feature a main character wearing a fabulous chunky cream sweater (CCS). This has, of course, led me to conclude that for a piece of pop culture to be equivalent to the sound of a crunchy leaf and the taste of a pumpkin spice latte, you need a CCS.

Honorable Mentions

Good Will Hunting (For all the same reasons as No. 4)
Harry Potter (The entire film series. For obvious reasons.)
Knives Out (A murder mystery featuring yet another character in a CCS! Duh!)
Glee (It’s perfect all year round.)
Succession (Something about a billionaire family fighting just feels like fall season to me.)

So curl up, sip on a pumpkin spice latte, throw on your own CCS, and start your watching ASAP. Happy binging!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Camila Fraser is an international affairs major who's a language enthusiast, fluent in three languages. She has a passion for exploring new cultures and loves traveling to broaden her horizons. When she's not jet-setting, you'll find her nose deep in a book, scouring thrift stores for hidden gems, or binge-watching the latest thing on tv.