A Brave New Streaming World: Why We Might Run Back to Cable

Recently, there have been running jokes about Netflix never continuing a show past the first season. Every new canceled show’s announcement is met with another trending discussion on Twitter about the trust issues we have because of the streaming giant. The billion-dollar question, especially for shows that dominated the top 10s list, is “why do shows keep getting canceled?”

It’s easy to think that a show with high viewership guarantees a new season, but that is not always the case. Years before the pandemic and lockdown, Netflix’s persistence to cancel shows was reliable.

Some streaming companies do not care to only focus on what show is pulling subscribers, but rather focus on what show brings new ones. It’s business models like this that have people trading their streaming cap for the pirate’s hats. Dramas with five seasons and never-ending crime shows with more than 13 seasons appear to be gone.

Not only are viewers becoming dissatisfied with unfinished storylines, older content is being scrubbed from streaming services like it never existed. Warner Media, the owner of HBO Max and Discover+, has adopted the idea that if it’s not on the site, it never existed. Shows made for streaming services have been removed without a trace and without a chance to get them on DVD.

If HBO Max removes a show on their site, did it even make a sound? These companies upset viewers and creators. For instance, the new Scooby Doo and Batgirl movies were both virtually done and ready to be streamed, only to never see the light of day.

Lost media aside, companies appear to be making trial-and-error decisions, and disregarding consumer satisfaction. By now, most netizens are aware of Netflix’s announcement to crack down on password sharing. This requires people to log into their home Wi-Fi at least every 31 days. After proud declarations of unsubscribing from the public, they announced that their new password-sharing rules were posted to the site as an error. In streaming’s pursuit of constant growth, they have alienated so many groups of people, including college students, split households and military families.

So, what will happen next? History has a funny way of repeating itself. It’s no coincidence that we fled cable companies’ package model, only to run into the arms of Disney Plus’ ESPN and Hulu bundle. Many people are opting to give into those packages.

My theory is that growth is not infinite. Constantly reporting new subscribers is not a sustainable business because there are so many people on the planet. We can choose to unsubscribe, leach off other accounts, or pick one streaming service. For now, we’re just going to have to watch these companies compete for our attention, but just like every era in entertainment, it’s not permanent. With Yellowstone being one of the most profitable shows of this decade without a big streaming push, the tide might finally be turning, and cable companies might have the last laugh.

Media is always changing. We went from silent films to show tunes, and now every film being made is rushed to streaming. The way streaming is set up now is not permanent, and it’s only a matter of time before something new and cheaper comes along and disrupts the industry, even if it’s not necessarily cable.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Neissa Philemon is a pre-medical student who is incredibly interested in the arts, pop culture, literature, and everything in between. She hopes to become a dermatologist.