These 5 Female Singers Will Help You Celebrate Women’s History Month

March is Women’s History Month! There are so many inspirational women in my life, even people I’ve never met. As someone who fills her day-to-day life with music — listening, dancing, singing, and creating my own — I have a lot of artists in my ever-changing rotation. However, this month I want to honor the achievements of a few female artists throughout time. Female artists have paved the way for success in the music world today, showcasing their talent, resilience, and individuality. 

While these five artists have had many chances to shine, I’d like to cast an extra spotlight on them and highlight their legacies. Women’s History Month commemorates the role that women play in American history. I want to recommend these female artists to anyone who is inspired by powerful women or simply needs new music in their playlist. So, here are five of my all-time favorites, in no specific order!

Hope Sandoval of mazzy star

I can’t explain how grateful I am for getting so deep into Mazzy Star the past few years. Frontwoman Hope Sandoval’s dreamy voice is one of my favorite sounds ever. Born in 1966, Sandoval is a Mexican-American woman from Los Angeles who decided to live out her dream of singing for a band.

Mazzy Star’s music is ethereal in many ways, combining folk and dream pop to create tiny worlds of pleasure in every song. Mazzy Star peaked as a band in the early 1990s with their famous song “Fade Into You.” However, I highly recommend diving deep into their discography and other albums as well. There’s something to be enjoyed for everyone: beautiful vocals, poetic lyricism, and addicting instrumentals. Sandoval began a solo career later on and continues to make music to this day.

lila ramani of crumb

Crumb is a psychedelic rock band from Brooklyn, New York. Frontwoman Lila Ramani steals the show in each song with her hauntingly smooth vocals. She flaunts her guitar abilities as well, effortlessly creating music that’ll make you feel like you’re in space.

Thanks to my Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify, I was introduced to the song “Cracking” last year. Since then, I’ve had it on repeat. There’s just something so heavenly about this song that I had to check out the rest of the album, Jinx, which is now one of my favorites. Crumb boasts a discography that contains both melancholy and upbeat tracks, and I highly recommend them and Ramani’s clear talent.

lana del rey

I can’t make this list without including one of my favorite artists of all time. Lana Del Rey isn’t an underground artist, but it feels wrong to not brag about her music whenever I have the chance. Writing poignant lyrics about love, heartbreak, and the struggles of being a woman, Del Rey has touched hearts with her music. She truly has a love for art and poetry, using her platform to tell the world who she is and what she’s been through.

For starters, I recommend her latest album, Did You Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd. I always have high expectations for this brilliant woman, but this recent album blew me away. There are many moments of vulnerability and some that’ll make you want to dance around. I recommend all of Del Rey’s albums, but this one is a good place to begin.

victoria legrand of beach house

While all of these artists are good at tugging on my heartstrings, I have a soft spot for Beach House. This American dream pop band features stunning vocals from the one and only Victoria Legrand. Incorporating elements of whimsical instrumentals and heartfelt lyrics, this band is sure to leave an indent on your soul as well. While many of their songs can appeal to me on a sad day, I can also appreciate Legrand’s artistry on a sunny day. There’s something so magical about her music, and I can’t even recommend a specific album (though 7 is a favorite). Allow this woman’s skillful voice to brighten your day as well!

stevie nicks of Fleetwood mac

Yes, she’s a household name, rising to fame through the band Fleetwood Mac in the late 1960s. However, leaving Stevie Nicks off this list would also be a crime. As one of the most iconic female singers of all time, Nicks has an extensive discography, from her days in the band to her solo career. Her gritty, powerful vocals can be enjoyed either through Fleetwood Mac albums like Rumours or her very own Bella Donna. Plus, she’s an amazing performer. Whether you’re in the mood for a love song or an introspective ballad, there’s a song for you, complete with a classic touch from Nicks.

While this list could go on and on, I thought I would share some of my favorite female artists for now. As someone who lives and breathes music on a daily, I look up to these women so much. They are all so inspiring and gifted in the music world, and I hope you can find the same enjoyment in them as I do!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hi! I'm Gabby, a junior at FSU studying clinical psychology and English. I'm passionate about mental health, wellness, fashion, food, and music, to name a few things.