women crying in the snow from the show The Glory
The Glory/Netflix

South Korean Shows Similar to “The Glory”

The Glory is a South Korean show on Netflix by Ahn Gil-ho and written by Kim Eun-sook. It is a revenge tragedy that follows a character named Moon Dong-eun. She experiences extreme bullying in high school and seeks revenge years later. With one of South Korea’s most talented and well-known actresses, Song Hye-kyo, and a supporting cast of equally gripping performers, it’s no wonder that the show has become Netflix’s seventh most-watched show of all time. 

As someone who has been watching South Korean shows since middle school, I can certainly say this is one of the best shows I’ve watched. I consider this to be one of Kim Eun-sook’s best works. The Glory is able to tap into so many emotions while balancing a plot that is incredibly engaging. 

With this in mind, I’m sure a lot of people left The Glory wanting more. I don’t expect there to be any continuation of the story. However, what I can do is give some suggestions to anyone who’s looking for South Korean shows to watch that capture a similar feeling. It’s important to note that a lot of the themes and topics in these shows can be upsetting for some. But, if you’re comfortable with giving these a watch, please do!  

First of all, Little Women is a show about three sisters who experience poverty while dealing with familial issues and a search for identity. The story follows the sisters caught in the shady business of a wealthy and powerful political family. This all kicks off when one of the sisters, Oh In-ju, finds out that her dead friend left her 70 billion won. 

Extracurricular follows Oh Ji-soo, a top student at his high school. He appears to be a normal student by day but he lives a double life where he makes money from being involved in the underbelly of his city. The story follows a classmate who discovered this secret. We watch them as they navigate the troubles that come with it. 

Furthermore, My Name was a popular show on Netflix at the time of its release. This show is about an ostracized teen girl who witnesses the death of her father. She turns to a crime boss to help her seek revenge. Throughout the show, we witness her grow up and work under a new name, with the instruction of the boss. She becomes a police officer as she tries to find justice. 

Save Me is a slightly older show that can be found on Peacock TV. It’s about a girl who slowly loses her family to a cult. The show does not shy away from depicting all that Im Sang-mi experiences. Four former classmates of the girl try to rescue her as they deal with the cult’s religious leader.

Lastly, Sky Castle gives us a peek into the lives of mostly wealthy students. It shows us each of their stories and some of the issues it tackles are wealth inequality and academic trauma. We watch the great lengths they and their parents go through to have them attend Seoul National University. 

Each of these shows was able to capture a facet of the human experience that transcends language. South Korea has been creating television shows for decades that have captured the heart of a lot of international audiences. So, to see a show like The Glory resonate with a lot of people is a testament to how important it is to give everyone the opportunity to tell a story. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest! 

Neissa Philemon is a pre-medical student who is incredibly interested in the arts, pop culture, literature, and everything in between. She hopes to become a dermatologist.