2023 Was the Year of Movies. Here’s How I’m Keeping That Energy Going In 2024

2023 was an astounding year for movies. From big blockbusters like Barbie and Oppenheimer to more recent debuts including Saltburn, Priscilla, and the much-anticipated The Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, it seemed like everyone was flocking to the movie theater any chance they could get.

In our current age of streaming, movie-going has been on the decline, particularly emphasized by the COVID-19 pandemic. Most people now prefer to enjoy a movie from the comfort of their own home with the freedom to pause and rewind as they please, but almost anyone can acknowledge that there’s just something different about seeing a movie at an actual theater. Nothing beats the feeling of sitting in a reclining chair, the air filled with the scent of fresh buttered popcorn, and the buzz of anticipation as the lights dim. Going to the movie theater becomes an experience and event.

As a television show aficionado and someone who hasn’t seen a lot of classic films, I found myself willingly and enthusiastically getting back into movies in 2023. I’m hoping to bring that same energy with me into 2024, and here’s how.

Make it Fun

Before the new year started, a TikTok came across my For You Page of a creator reminding everyone that while you’re making your more serious New Year’s resolutions, like exercising more or eating healthier, you shouldn’t forget about setting some fun, lighthearted goals. I was immediately intrigued and scrolled through the vast comment section. I read through a variety of goals, including trying as many pasta shapes as possible and petting three new animals, but one specific goal caught my eye: watching 100 movies. As someone who loves a comfort show, I thought this would be a fun goal for the new year! Now I can finally listen to my friends’ movie recommendations and even encourage them.

Letterboxd

@frenchtipshoney03

THE FATHER OF CINEMA 🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐 #martinscorsese #letterboxd

♬ original sound – nada

Letterboxd is also a great way to get back into movies! Letterboxd is a free online platform that allows users to rate and review movies, as well as read what others wrote. It’s a delight for movie enthusiasts, providing an engaging platform to log your watch history and reflect on your movie-watching journey. Some celebrities have even found a home on Letterboxd, including Ayo Edebiri, known for playing Sydney in the TV Series The Bear, and astounding filmmaker Martin Scorsese! This platform provides a collaborative playground for film enthusiasts. It’s reigniting my love for the art of filmmaking one movie review at a time.

Invite Others

Watching movies with others is always a blast! I grew up watching horror movies with my mom, as no one else in our family particularly enjoyed them. We watched every horror movie under the sun, the good and the bad. Anytime we would discover a new horror movie to watch together, we were already grabbing blankets and popping popcorn. Movies are also fun to watch with friends! My friends and I are always talking about all the new movies we need to watch, like The Iron Claw and Anyone but You. It’s always interesting to watch them together and discuss the movie afterward. Everybody loves a movie night!

All in all, I think the high that movies and films are on right now will continue for a while. With several highly anticipated 2024 movie releases, including the already-released Mean Girls and the upcoming Challengers, The Fall Guy, and Dune: Part Two, it’s safe to say that movies and movie theaters are back and better than ever.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Ellie is a staff writer for the FSU chapter of Her Campus. She writes about a range of topics, from culture, to lifestyle, to college-life! She is a second-year communications major and is pursuing a double minor in commercial entrepreneurship and general business. Beyond Her Campus, Ellie enjoys traveling, self-care, cooking, and hanging out with her friends!