Courtney Fishback: Internal Chair for the Seminole Shack Showdown

Seminole Shack Showdown is an annual event put on by the FSU Chapter of Habitat for Humanity. This year’s event is centered on the theme of board games and will be taking place on the Union Green from Monday, March 21 until Thursday, March 24, 2016. I sat down with the event’s Internal Chair, Courtney Fishback, to learn more about it.

Photo By: Nicholas Kielbasa

Her Campus (HC): You’re involved with Habitat for Humanity. What does the organization do?

Courtney Fishback (CF): Habitat for Humanity is a non-profit organization that aims to help eliminate substandard housing all over the world and is currently operating out of 83 countries. Homeowners apply for a house and go through an approval process. Once selected, they work alongside volunteers, which counts towards their required “sweat equity,” as well as pay a mortgage. Habitat for Humanity is “a hand up, not a hand out.”

HC: You’re on the executive board of the Seminole Shack Showdown as Internal Chair. Can you explain the event?

CF: Seminole Shack Showdown is a four-day, three-night event in which Habitat for Humanity at FSU raises awareness about substandard housing. The event is popular amongst other college campuses as well, most of which are referred to as “Shack-A-Thons.” Habitat at FSU uses Seminole Shack Showdown as an advocacy event, meaning that we use it to spread awareness across our college campus. It also works as a small fundraising event in which all proceeds go towards our goal of $40,000 that gets donated to our affiliate, Big Bend Habitat, to help build a house for a family in need.

HC: What does your position do?

CF: My position is Seminole Shack Showdown Internal Chair, which works alongside our External Chair. I would say my position is more on the creative side. All of my decisions have been about which themes we should let the general body vote on, how to decorate the shack and what activities we will have for all of the participants to partake in. I also have to meet with people to discuss the event and plan out the logistics so everything runs smoothly – no one wants a 6 a.m. wakeup call by the sprinklers!

Courtesy: Facebook

HC: Good thinking! This is Habitat’s most recognized event; why do you think it’s so popular?

CF: I think it’s popular because we get a bunch of organizations involved, and people are always curious as to what is going on. This year we will have seven shacks, which means the event as a whole is getting bigger. But we couldn’t do it without the help of our general body members; they volunteer their time and help with construction and set up. Their contribution is what makes Seminole Shack Showdown so successful.

HC: What are you most excited about for the event?

CF: We will have a bunch of activities, including giant Jenga and an acoustic jam session, but my favorite part about last year was sleeping out in the shack and that is what I’m most excited for. It’s really a great bonding experience with our members and the perfect way to get to know each other. Last year was my first time doing Seminole Shack Showdown and I was only planning on sleeping out one night, but I kept coming back. It’s really just about the memories and all of the amazing people you meet.

Courtesy: Facebook

HC: How can others get involved?

CF: For organizations that may be interested in building a shack next year, you can contact our executive board and they can help you though the process. For students walking through the Union, feel free to stop by and talk to us! People will always be out there and we have fun activities planned. The end goal is to help raise awareness about substandard housing and how Habitat seeks to rectify it – but we do that while having fun!

Courtesy: Facebook

HC: What if I want to be more involved with Habitat for Humanity?

CF: If you want to get more involved just come on out to a meeting! They are every Monday at 6 p.m. in Dunlap Success Center room 2201. You can also stay updated by liking us on Facebook and following our Instagram!

Courtney is a sophmore at Florida State University and is currently studying Retail Merchandising and Product Development. She enjoys good books, has a slight obsession with dogs, and will be most likely found with coffee or tea in hand as she runs from class to class.
Her Campus at Florida State University.