Courtney Bine: A Future Leader Looking to Leave a Legacy

Name: Courtney Bine

Year: Freshman

Hometown: St. Louis, Missouri

Relationship Status: Single

Major: Political Science

Her Campus (HC): You’re from Missouri. What made you decide to come to FSU?

Courtney Bine (CB): Well at the end of my junior year of high school, my step-dad told us that he had been offered a promotion through his new job and that he planned on accepting it, as long as we were okay with the fact that the promotion required our family to move to Florida. Going to school in a different state had never crossed my mind before that day, but I am so glad it worked out the way it did. After we knew we were going to be relocating, I looked at schools here in Florida and in neighboring states, and I instantly fell in love with FSU’s campus the first time I visited.

HC: Tell us a little more about what you’re involved with on campus. 

CB: I am a member of Sigma Delta Tau. My sorority has given me so many opportunities not only to be involved within my chapter but also outside. In my first year, I participated in Light the Night, Dance Marathon, and a few external philanthropic events/races. Within Sigma Delta Tau, I hold the chair position as Art Director, which means I make banners for different events, paint the letters, wall and sidewalk all when updates are needed. I have also been given the opportunity to take a class offered to Greek affiliated students called Emerging Leaders this semester, where I have met so many great people from other chapters that I may not have gotten the chance to know without this class.

HC: What made you decide to join a sorority?

CB: My mother was in a sorority, Alpha Xi Delta, at University of Central Missouri and every time she would talk about her experiences with her sisters or just the fact that she was still in contact with them after so long always sounded like something that I wanted to be a part of if I ever got the chance. Along with that, I came to FSU not knowing a single person, and I knew that joining a sorority would give me a great opportunity to not only meet people within my chapter but also in the Greek community as a whole.

HC: So far, what has Emerging Leaders taught you?

CB: Emerging Leaders has taught me so much about so many different aspects of the Greek community. It is a class that is centered around large group and small group discussion and each week the main focus of the discussion changes a bit. With this format, it gives all of us an equal chance to state our opinions and to learn from what others have to say. It’s not just learning from a textbook like many other classes. The class teaches you how to be an effective leader and how to carry yourself as a good representation of your chapter. I am very lucky to be given the chance to take this class and hopefully use this to help my chapter grow in the future.

HC: If you could take away only one thing from the class, what would it be?

CB: It would be that being a leader doesn’t mean that you have followers or people that look up to you, instead it means that you see something that could be changed or improved and you do everything in your power to change it, not because you want the title of a leader, but because you care about the organization that you are representing.

HC: Are there any misconceptions about greek life?

CB: Of course there are misconceptions about greek life, and people have these misconceptions about us no matter what school you go to. People on the outside of it see the social aspect of it and the money that goes into to it and just assume that you are paying for friends or to have a social life, but there is so much more that goes into each individual organization that goes unnoticed.

HC: What do you see yourself doing for the rest of your time at FSU?

CB: For the next three years I want to continue to be involved in my sorority, but also expand outside of my chapter. I will continue to work toward finishing my Political Science major and look into double majoring in International Affairs as well. Also, I hope to spend at least one of my summers studying abroad.

HC: Do you know what you want to do after you graduate?

CB: After I graduate, I will hopefully be accepted to law school where I can pursue my goal of becoming a prosecuting attorney.

HC: What made you interested in law?

CB: I have had an interest in law even before I got to high school. When I started looking into it more this past summer, the only jobs that I could see myself being happy with were centered on law.

HC: What is a cause that is close to your heart?

CB: Before college I was never greatly involved in any charitable organizations, and I regret that now. This year when I participated in Dance Maratho I felt as if I made a difference in raising over 1 million dollars for Children’s Miracle Network, and I can’t wait until next year when it comes time to stand for another 20 hours.

HC: Now for some fun questions. If you could go anywhere in the world tomorrow, where would it be?

CB: Croatia. It’s a very small country, but so beautiful. A part of my family history is from Croatia, so I would love to be able to experience that for myself.

HC: What do you do in your free time? 

CB: As weird as it is, I actually enjoy running and working out.

HC: What’s your ideal date? 

CB: I’m not a very picky person so I can be happy just driving around listening to music or watching movies.

HC: Is there a quote you live by or do you have a personal motto? 

CB: To not overthink everything. I have had a bad habit of doing that in the past.

HC: If you could give your high school freshman self any advice, what would it be?

CB: I would say spend less time worrying about drama and just have fun and spend time with your friends. Back then I didn’t realize my time with my friends in Missouri was going to be limited, so I would say spend as much time having fun with them as possible. 

Taylor Dickey is a Sophomore at The Florida State University who is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Hospitality Management. She hopes to work in the Fashion and/or Entertainment industry one day as a Public Relations Manager for a designer, an Art Director for a brand, or a Fashion Event Planner. She is interested and well-versed in Marketing & Communications, Social Media, Event Planning, Brand Management, and Graphic Design. Originally from Houston, Texas, Taylor loves fashion, baking, laughing, the beach, and doing anything creative. She dreams big, loves with all her heart, and has an obsession with Pinterest.
Her Campus at Florida State University.