It’s that time of the year: time to dress up and become whoever or whatever we want! As girls, we take a lot of heat because of those select girls who decide to dress up (or not really) by showing as much skin as possible. PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: there is a huge difference between sexy and skanky, and there is absolutely a way to show off your flirty, creative side without showing everything! Thankfully, most of us know where to draw the line, so we decide to take a different route and dress up in funny or scary costumes.

Since this is a roommate blog and we like to do things together, here are some BFF or group costume ideas:

Groups of two: Snooki and Jwoww (Jersey Shore), Thing 1 and Thing 2, Ugly Stepsisters (Cinderella)

Groups of three: The Plastics (Mean Girls), Power Puff Girls, Sanderson Sisters (Hocus Pocus), Charlie’s Angels, the Kardashians, Beyonce and her Single Ladies

Groups of four: Aria, Spencer, Hanna, and Emily (Pretty Little Liars), Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda, and Samantha (Sex and the City), Fanta Girls, Ninja Turtles

Groups of five: Pink Ladies (Grease), Spice Girls, Fifth Harmony

These are all great options for a group of girlfriends who like to dress up together. But sometimes, we girls like to drag our guys into the picture, too. Believe it or not, Elana and I both have boyfriends, (I know what you’re thinking: there are guys out there who actually put up with them? The answer is yes). So here are some couple costumes ideas:

Robin Thicke / Miley Cyrus (very popular right now), The Flinstones (group of 2 or 4), Any Disney [Princess] Couple, Cowboy / Cowgirl, Police / Inmate, Mario / Princess Peach, Popeye / Olive, Adam / Eve, Shrek / Fiona, Danny / Sandy (Grease), Batman / Cat Woman (or Batgirl).

You can choose to be something or someone unexpected and original or just stick with the classics. A witch, black cat, pumpkin, you know what I mean! Whatever approach you take, have fun with it.  Halloween really is a great time of year for people to come together and have a silly time with friends. Wearing costumes gives us a chance to be someone we’re not. Maybe boost our confidence or completely change our attitudes, so why not go all out?

Whatever you decide, we are all college girls living on a budget, so we all live by the same rule: CHEAPER IS BETTER! And by cheap I don’t mean ‘trashy’, although a trash bag can be turned into a cool costume! Any costumes you choose can pretty much all be home-made. There are so many ideas on the internet for DIY costumes. Home- made costumes can help make a classic idea something new and original. Take advantage of all the crazy colored makeup pallets and hair spray. Creativity is the key!

Having trouble deciding on THE perfect costume? Luckily you don’t need to choose just one! It’s common knowledge around Tallahassee that Halloween lasts a solid week (and sometimes two!) Odds are you’ll be attending multiple Halloween costume parties. That just means you’ll get to wear multiple costumes, (because no one wants to be an outfit repeater…) And Elana and I can both agree that the best part of going to a party is the getting ready!

However, for those of you want to put in the least amount of effort, you can always just throw a huge white sheet over your head and call it a night! BOO!

Kaitlyn Hatten is curently a junior at Florida State University majoring in Family and Child Sciences/ Child Development. She recently started taking yoga classes but still enjoys teaching herself music video choreography in her bedroom. She idolizes pop artist Demi Lovato and strives to be her (or her best friend) one day. Some may consider her a "crazy cat lady" but it's really all animals that bring joy to her life. If she was filmed on a daily basis and had her life turned into a television show, it would have a little bit of comedy, romance, action... actually, no action, just comedy. Overall, she's just a goof-ball with a big heart!
Elana Pollack, of Vero Beach, FL,  is currently a junior at Florida State University studying English; Editing, Writing, and Media.  While she loves this field, her dream job is to manage a performing arts center.  Elana has a younger brother and sister whom she adores.  Since graduating high school, she has spent every summer working at a camp in North Carolina.  She has seen every Gilmore Girls episode at least three time and still watches every re-run.
Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!