Wellness > Health

Convincing Your Older Relatives to Participate in Social Distancing

While many people are taking COVID-19 as seriously as they should, there are still many out there who just aren’t buying it. With the nation-wide transfer of colleges to online platforms, even some teens who planned wild spring breaks have chosen to gather some snacks and stay safely in their homes. Although many news sources have been reporting that teens are the problem, there seems to be another demographic that is also resisting social distancing: older adults. If your grandparents aren’t taking the proper precautions to protect themselves from the virus, I have a few tips to help you convince them to hunker down and socially distance themselves.

Send your loved ones factual articles from trusted sources (NPR, CBS, The New York Times, etc.). There’s a big difference between hearing that people are dying in passing and hearing the cold, hard facts of what could happen to you. If the problem is that your relatives aren’t buying into the fear of the virus, send them a few fact-based articles. As the virus was initially compared to the flu, many adults have come to believe that it’s only as bad as the flu (which is obviously not true). Sending an article regarding the symptoms and effects of the virus could allow them to better understand why they need to protect themselves.

Doctor Arms Crossed
Photo by Online Marketing on Unsplash
“Do it for me. I don’t want anything to happen to you. I would feel terrible if I gave it to you.” Using “I” statements can come in handy in this situation. If your relatives won’t stay at home for themselves, ask them if they will do it for you. If they (like my grandparents) are questioning why you don’t want to see them, tell them it is simply because you don’t want them to catch something from you. It’s because I care about you, Grandma!

“It’s not that you’re old. I just want you to be safe.” Many grocery stores, such as Publix, Target and Whole Foods, have created special hours for senior and elderly shoppers. When my mom and I suggested to my grandma that she take advantage of this, it did not go over well. “Are you calling me a senior?” I mean, she is in her 70’s, but this isn’t the time for a late-life crisis. It’s a time for safety. According to Jennifer Peepas at Vox, “many boomers don’t see themselves as ‘old people,’ or ‘possibly sick people,’ especially active, reasonably healthy ones.” Reassure your grandparents or older relatives that you know they’re strong and in good shape, but in this case it’s better safe than sorry.”

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Alyce Rogers is a freshman at Florida State University majoring in public relations. She enjoys writing about movies, music, and study tips.
Her Campus at Florida State University.