As I start my junior year as a Nole, I think it’s time I come clean. I used to be a Gator. I sported the awkward combination of orange and blue and marched down to the Swamp. I shook hands with Albert and Alberta. I sang along with Mr. Two Bits. 

For those of you who don’t get those references, consider yourselves lucky.

Starting at Florida State after 18 years of chanting, “it’s great to be a Florida Gator” posed a few issues. Initially, my family resisted my choice. They nudged me towards UF, thinking it’s the best school for me. My Christmas card from my very own Papaw read: “Merry Christmas. Hope you go to UF. If not, FSU is ok.” While I love him (as I do all of my Gator family) so much, this stung a bit. I wanted my family to be proud of me for going to college, the college of my choice. Not only did I face my family’s disapproval, but I had to say goodbye to a few of my closest friends. They made the decision to attend UF and separating was difficult. I still miss our weekly sleepovers, where we binged on Oreos and chips and got down to Just Dance (my friend has EVERY single Just Dance on Wii). Throughout this decision, I felt like I was both disappointing and leaving people dear to me. There was one more factor in my decision that I hate to admit– I liked being a Gator.

Warning: The following image may be disturbing to Seminoles. Side effects may include nausea, delirium and/or uncontrollable laughter. Viewer discretion is advised.

Courtesy: My Mother

I think we can agree that we all made bad decisions in 2007, myself included. I’m not ashamed, well not entirely, that I used to be a Gator. UF is a great school with an okay football team! I’m so happy for my friends that attend UF and for my family when the Gators make an occasional win on the football field. That being said, I know I made the right choice for myself. Choosing FSU was one of the hardest, yet best decisions I’ve had yet. I’ve met such good, supportive friends here and maintained my friendships from home. Some of my professors here have changed my outlook on life and made me more confident in what I do. I’ve gotten out of my comfort zone and I’m so glad I did. 

Now as a Seminole, I proudly wear garnet and gold around campus. I love to watch Osceola and Renegade (seriously we have the coolest traditions) on game days. Walking past our beautiful Westcott or our newly renovated Doak Campbell Stadium, I know I’m where I should be. My family has finally come around too, sporting “House Divided” license plates of both a Gator and a Seminole (awww!). I would encourage any incoming freshman or transfer to go to the college of their choice, study what they love and to take a deep breath. This is the best four years we’ve got.

FSU student, tutor, editor and writer
Her Campus at Florida State University.