The Collegiette’s Guide to Travel Essentials

One of the best parts of summer is the opportunity to travel! Whether you are traveling for a study abroad program, going on a family vacation, or just going on a fun Disney trip with friends, every Collegiette needs the travel essentials. This guide will list my top five essentials that I must have with me for every trip I go on. I encourage all collegiettes to do a bit of bargain hunting and find the right products for you to ensure a fun and carefree journey!

Sunscreen:

No matter what kind of trip you are going on, always make sure to carry sunscreen with you! Whether you are hitting the beach, the theme parks, or even going skiing, the sun’s rays can reach you anywhere, and it is essential to make sure that you are well protected! This will make sure that you can enjoy yourself, instead of worrying about severe tan lines or, even worse, badly burnt skin. For pale skin, I definitely recommend Aveeno protect and hydrate with lotion that has at least SPF 70. It works like a moisturizer and doesn’t leave you with that feeling of stickiness! For those who want sun protection but enjoy tanning as well, I recommend L’Oreal Paris new sublime sunscreen oil; it provides plenty of sun protection while allowing you to get gorgeous and tan!

A Good Book:

Wherever you are traveling, there is usually a journey to be endured. If you are lucky enough to be going on an international flight, the in-flight movies are a bonus, but for those of you who are road-tripping or taking a short flight, a good book to read is another must-have. For a great summer read, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is perfect. The book focuses on two teenage cancer patients who fall in love over their shared passion of reading. The movie comes out in June as well, so it is sure to be a huge hit this season! For something with a little more suspense, I really enjoyed The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Focusing on a duel between two young wizards, the book centers on a mysterious circus that appears unannounced and is only open at night. The book has the perfect balance of mystery, romance, and suspense, and I guarantee you won’t be able to put it down!

Dry Shampoo:

Although not the greatest substitute for washing your hair, dry shampoo definitely has its benefits. For those Collegiettes going on an overnight flight or just a long journey in general, dry shampoo can save your hair from looking disastrous and unwashed! It comes in small travel sizes, so it can easily fit into your luggage, and is very easy to use. Just spray the shampoo onto your hair and rub directly into your roots. You can even brush your hair and it will blend right in!

Photo Credit: photo-dictionary.com

The Perfect Playlist:

No journey or vacation is complete without the ultimate summer playlist! Grab your iPod and make sure to download some of the new hits of summer: “Summertime” by Calvin Harris, “Happy” by Pharrell Williams, “Sing” by Ed Sheeran, and “Problem” by Ariana Grande and featuring Iggy Azalea!

A Deck of Cards:

It may seem cliché, but honestly a deck of cards can save you in those moments of ultimate boredom! You can use them to play against yourself, or you can make friends with your neighbor in the next seat and strike up a conversation and a game with them! After all, summer is about having fun and meeting new people!

Hollie Morey is a creative writing enthusiast, when she is not studying for her double major in communications and political science! In her free time, Hollie loves to curl up with a great novel or the latest edition of Glamour, as well as catch up on her favorite shows: Pretty Little Liars and Mad Men! Hollie has a particular interest in writing about fashion and local current events and can be found looking on Her Campus for great style tips or for ideas for things to do in Tallahassee!
Her Campus at Florida State University.