In my freshman year of college, I struggled with having to part ways from my whole closet—those dorm closets are small! I was confined to only one suitcase and a duffel bag, which seemed like more than enough clothing for my time up at school. Soon after moving in and settling down into my dorm, I came to realize I was missing a few key items that I wished I had brought along.

But don’t stress! I made those mistakes so you can learn from me. Here is a list of some clothing items you may not have thought to bring but will definitely need.

1. Rain Jacket

Palm tree in front of stormy sky
Photo by Suparerg Suksai from Pexels

This is on top of the list because Tallahassee can get super rainy and that was something I did not foresee before moving up. Trust me on this—walking from class to class in the pouring rain is a freshman experience you can miss out on. Invest in a decent rain jacket, preferably with a hood, so you don’t show up to class looking like you just stepped out of the shower (been there, done that). While you’re at it, maybe grab a cute small umbrella that can easily be stowed away in your backpack for those sunny Florida days that can quickly become thunderstorms.

2. Light jacket or cardigan

Depending on which classroom you’re in, it can either feel like the air conditioning is barely on or it’ll feel like the frozen tundra. Bringing a bulky sweater might keep you warm, but it’ll be a pain to carry around all day. Instead, get yourself a light knit cardigan or a zip-up jacket that you can easily roll up and shove into your bag when you don’t need it anymore. I may sound like your mother at this point, reminding you to “bring a jacket in case you get cold” but you’ll thank me when you aren’t shivering through your afternoon lecture.

3. Sweatpants (or any sort of comfortable pants)

Photo by Sincerely Media on Unsplash

It goes without saying that you will be doing plenty of studying while you’re in college, so you might as well be comfy while doing it. Make sure to bring along a pair of your favorite sweats or any other comfortable pants—my personal favorite is my Florida State University (FSU) sweatpants from the bookstore. You will wear these everywhere, whether it’s to the library, on a late-night run to the on-campus Chick-Fil-A or even to class (If you have an 8 a.m. class that’s an excuse to wear pajama pants, right?). 

4. Business Outfit

woman in red suit with glasses sitting on tree stump
Photo by Maria Lupan from Unsplash

This is one I had not thought of at all my freshman year, but I promise will come in handy more than you think. There are lots of networking events on campus and if you are interested in becoming involved, sometimes professional wear is recommended. You don’t have to break the bank for a put-together business outfit, though. I recommend looking at stores like H&M, Kohls or Macy’s. Make sure to look for student deals too. You only need one or two outfits—a basic colored blazer, white blouse/collared shirt, basic colored dress pants and flats or heels. 

5. Sneakers

The last thing you want your first week of classes is a throbbing blister on your ankle because of your super cute but not so comfy shoes. If you have classes that are far apart, you may want to consider bringing a good pair of sneakers with you so you can avoid those troublesome blisters. 

6. FSU Jersey (Game Day Outfit!)

I can guarantee that your freshman year will include at least one tailgate party and a few football games, so be sure to bring your favorite FSU jersey or FSU apparel. Deck yourself out in the garnet and gold colors to show your fave college football team some support!

7. Winter Jacket

If, like me, you’re from southern Florida, the coldest it may get in the ‘winter’ is like 60 degrees. Up in Tallahassee, though, it can get really cold, so make sure not to forget a good winter jacket. It doesn’t have to be a super heavy one, but make sure it’s warm because I can attest to the fact that walking to your class at 9 a.m. freezing your butt off is not a good way to start off the morning.

8. Workout Outfit

myths about gymming, women in fitness 4
Photo by CHU Gummies from Unsplash

If you’re someone who likes to hit the gym or take the occasional yoga class, remember to take a workout outfit or two. FSU’s very own Leach Student Recreation Center offers a gym and various classes.

9. Bathing Suit

This one may seem unnecessary, but I promise you will need this more than you think. Whether it’s hitting up the FSU Rez or taking an impromptu beach day with your friends to St. George’s Island, a bathing suit will come in handy.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Rachel Gaul is a senior at Florida State. She is studying English Literature, Culture, and Media with a minor in Film Studies. She plans on entering into law after graduation. Rachel enjoys binge-watching, music, and thrifting.
Her Campus at Florida State University.