Celebrating St. Patty’s Without Ruining Your Diet-Sort Of

St. Patrick’s Day is a day full of green beer, Irish carbombs, and a whole lot of eating.  However, just because you want to take part in the fun does not mean you need to ruin your diet with unwanted calories.  I have come up with a few tips for a healthier St. Patty’s, hopefully they save you a few hundred calories!!

• Choose light beer over regular beer.  Opt for beers like Budweiser Select, Coors Light, and Michelob Ultra; all under or at most 100 calories.  Unlike regular beer, like a Sam Adams, which has around 250 calories per serving.

• Take advantage of your legs!  Living in a small college town like FSU has taught me to value short walking distances as part of an exercise routine.  Instead of catching a bus or driving from the Strip to Potbellies, walk the short uphill route.  It will be a great workout that will help you digest and burn off those light beer calories.

• Drink a lot of water!! Water makes up more than 50% of your body is made out of water so saying water is vital to our wellbeing is an understatement.  Drinking water will help you digest, pace your alcohol drinking, and flush out all the negative things in your body.

• Pace yourself!  Drink slowly, for every drink you have consume a cup of water.  We all know it’s hard to control ourselves when we are intoxicated-let alone what we eat.  So the less drunk you are, the more control you will have to make healthy dietary decisions and make sound decisions in all aspects of your life. 
Viviana Victoria is a sophomore at the Florida State University, class of 2013, double majoring in Retail Merchandising & Product Development and the new English track offered at FSU, editing, writing, and media. Born and raised in West Palm Beach, Florida, moving up to Tallahassee was quite a change. During her first year in college, after changing her major three times, she was fortunate enough to discover her passion for writing this early on. Her goal is to write for a major fashion magazine or to be a screenplay writer in the future. She is an active member of the Collegiate Merchandising Association (CMA) at FSU, as well as a contributing writer of College Magazine, an advice publication for college students founded by a graduate student of Maryland. Some of her interests include playing sports, reading, working out, and basically having a good time. Her ultimate life goal is to touch lives and to be remembered as the girl who always made people smile regardless of what was thrown her way.