oscar 3679610 1920?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
oscar 3679610 1920?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

In Case You Missed It: The 2020 Oscars

Hollywood’s biggest night of the year occurred on Feb. 9 and it was 100% not a disappointment. The Oscars are the most star-studded event of the year, wrapping up the film and TV award show season until September. Fans and celebrities all over the world wait for this one night, and the evening came and went very quickly this year. From red carpet looks to the Best Picture winner, here’s everything you missed from the 2020 Academy Awards.

Timothée Photobombing Margot

Timothée Chalamet and Margot Robbie shared quite the adorable moment on this year’s red carpet. As Margot was posing for the paparazzi, Timothée ran over to her and got in one of her pictures. Margot then squeezed his cheeks, which we were all jealous about. We’re all patiently waiting for a film with these two iconic actors.

Representing Snubbed Women Directors

Natalie Portman arrived on the red carpet wearing a gorgeous Dior cape, which was embroidered with each of the names of the female directors which did not make the cut in this year’s list of nominees. Many fans were disappointed when the list came out in January, pointing out that there were zero female directors nominated. Natalie Portman recognized them by putting their names on her outfit.

Turkey Sandwich on the Red Carpet

Julia Butters, the 10-year-old actress that appeared alongside Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio made her Oscars debut by bringing a turkey sandwich as her plus one. When asked about the interesting choice, she said she simply isn’t a fan of a lot of the food offered at the award show and after-party.

The Women of SNL

Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph shared a hilarious monologue during their time on the Oscars stage this year, no surprise there. As the two were presenting, they showed off their acting skills to the many directors sitting in the audience. Then, they comically sang the official song for the Oscars, which of course, they wrote. The duo was back and better than ever and everyone’s waiting for them to host the Oscars….please?!

The First International Film

Parasite made a full sweep at the event on Sunday night. It took home awards for both Best International Film and Best Picture, among other things. It was the first foreign-language film to win the title of Best Picture. The cast and crew gave multiple speeches throughout the evening, and they were just as thankful for each award they won.

In Memoriam

Billie Eilish and her brother Finneas sang “Yesterday” by The Beatles as the slideshow of those in the industry who have passed away played in the background. The Oscars do this every year as a way to honor everyone who could no longer be there with us on this important night. However, this year, there seemed to be a few faces missing. Riverdale’s Luke Perry and Disney Channel star Cameron Boyce were nowhere to be found and fans are upset about it, as they should be. The two passed in 2019 and were both very important assets to the film industry. Kobe Bryant was the first one to be honored and his picture along with a quote was shared on the beautiful slideshow.

The nonstop viral moments and memes from this year’s event seemed to be never-ending, but that makes the show more interesting anyway, right? As the 2020 award show season comes to a close, the potential nominees for the 2021 season are already being released! Go to the theaters and get ahead of the game by watching them!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Emma Romano is a Public Relations major and a Film Studies minor. She hopes move to Los Angeles to pursue advertising and promotions for movies, TV Shows and celebrities in the future.
Her Campus at Florida State University.