The latest installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Captain Marvel, is here and it is most definitely a must-see. Marvel fans were left begging for more after Avengers: Infinity War premiered last April, and this latest film does not disappoint. Featuring Brie Larson as the heroine Carol Danvers/Vers, Marvel has given us major girl boss vibes and added to the suspense building up for Avengers: End Game. Without any major spoilers let’s review some of the reasons why your next movie date needs to be this film!

The movie serves as a prequel to the Avengers series, showing us how some of our favorite characters joined the Avengers team and the major events that led to the formation of the “Avengers Initiative.” The main character, Carol/Vers, shows us exactly why there need to be more female-driven superhero movies (shout out to Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman). After overcoming a major life-changing event, Vers lives out her days as part of the Starforce with the Kree people on their main planet Hala. She experiences reoccurring dreams and tries to piece together the puzzle that is her past with the help of the Kree people and her former human friends.

Courtesy: The New York Times

Set in 1995, the movie gives us a throwback of some of the most essential Marvel characters and shows us how they became a part of the franchise we all know and love. Two characters whose beginnings were highlighted in the film were S.H.I.E.L.D. agents Nick Fury, played by the legendary Samuel L. Jackson, and Phil Coulson, played by Clark Gregg. Both characters were digitally edited to appear younger, showing off Marvel’s iconic CGI skills that other actors, such as Chris Evans, have experienced. It also chronicles the back story of one of the most infamous Marvel villains, Ronan the Accuser.

The development of the background story combined with Brie Larson’s absolutely killer performance provided for yet another incredibly successful Marvel movie. Brie was able to completely transform into the absolute baddie that is Captain Marvel and no doubt has inspired girls all over the world.

Courtesy: Entertainment Tonight

If there’s anything to take away from this movie, it is that the sky is truly the limit when it comes to female leads in superhero movies. Hopefully, this movie will serve to show that female superheroes are just as exciting, thrilling and adventurous as male-driven hero movies. The impact movies like Captain Marvel can have on the modern girl is overwhelming and exciting at the same time. So clear your schedule, make a movie date and see this breakthrough movie. I promise you won’t regret it!

I'm a senior from Miami, FL majoring in Public Relations and pursuing a Master's degree in Integrated Marketing Communication. Think of me as the love child of Samantha Jones & Carrie Bradshaw, plus throw in a little Cuban spice.
Her Campus at Florida State University.