FSU game photo
FSU game photo
Original photo by Joan Nygbah

Why I Regret Waiting To Get Involved With FSU Until Now

I don’t regret much about my time here at FSU, but one thing I regret is that I wasn’t as involved as I should’ve been. I waited until the last semester of my senior year to experience everything FSU has to offer. I always thought, “I’ll have time to join this club,” and “Maybe next semester, when I know more people, I’ll go to this event.” Now, in my last semester, I know that I should’ve listened to everyone in my life who told me to get involved right away.  

I’m a transfer student from Tampa, Florida who never thought she’d go to FSU. FSU was never on my mind as a potential school to go to. I always thought I’d go to USF since it was so close to home. I knew FSU had a beautiful campus, an amazing college life, and an immense school spirit for sports. Other than that, I never imagined being a student here, but I’m so happy I changed my mind and went to FSU instead! 

When I first came to FSU, I knew my time here would be a short two years where I thought I had all the time in the world, but my first year flew by! I had a great first year where I went to all the home football games, tailgated for the first time as an FSU student, and became amazing friends with my roommates. I have so many incredible memories with them. I also experienced an FSU tradition of being thrown into the Westcott fountain for my 21st birthday! With all the incredible memories I made, I still felt like I could’ve been more involved. 

Since I was so new to everything, I was nervous. I didn’t know where to go on campus or who to ask about social events, clubs, or even internships that FSU provides. I decided to get out of my comfort zone and begin branching out when I realized I hadn’t made as many new friends in my first year at FSU as I thought I would. So, I pushed myself to go out more, even if I had to attend events by myself! 

Here’s some of my best advice on how to get more involved at FSU.

no one is judging you

My best advice is not to worry about what other people think of you because if I’m being honest, no one’s going to judge you. I went to a carnival that FSU had outside of the Student Union by myself this past fall semester because I really wanted to go. I thought it would be weird since I went alone, but I had a great time! The food was amazing; I played a couple of games and won some prizes. I would’ve never experienced that if I hadn’t pushed myself to go that night. I had no regrets about going by myself.  

ask other students about what they’re involved in

My next piece of advice would be to ask what other people do at FSU. When I was riding home for winter break with my friend, I asked her about her experience as a writer for Her Campus at FSU. She told me all the incredible things about the group, like how amazing the people were, how fun it was to write about topics you’re passionate about, and the sense of community she felt being in HCFSU. That conversation led me to send an application to Her Campus a couple of weeks later, and I am so proud of myself that I joined! I’ve made more friends in HCFSU than I have in the past year and a half since I’ve been here at FSU. I wish I joined sooner, but I believe everything happens for a reason, and am so grateful I joined when I did! 

I also found an internship through the English Department writing profiles for alumni for the English Department’s website. I never thought I would do an internship when I first came to FSU. However, this internship has taught me so much about my major in Creative Writing and what I’m capable of as a writer. Because an internship felt like the next step to the real world, it was scary at first. But the guidance and patience that the English department staff has given me is something I’ll never forget. 

follow fsu on social media

FSU has so many social events, clubs, and activities for its students throughout the year that you’re never left wanting more. When I first came here, I didn’t know who to follow. Therefore, I was never informed because I didn’t think following the FSU social media accounts was important, but they keep you in the loop about everything! The best way to stay in touch is to follow the FSU Student Affairs Instagram account.  

If you’re looking for ideas of what clubs to join, Nole Central shows you all the clubs FSU offers!

My time here isn’t over yet, but I can honestly say that I’m having the best time of my life. I’ve learned so much about myself in the span of the two years I’ve been here. I’ve gained lifelong friends, and I got to experience the college life I don’t think I would’ve gotten if I had gone to USF. I may regret not getting involved sooner, but I’ll never regret going to FSU. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest! 

Miranda Daubar is a Creative Writing major minoring in history at Florida State University. She is hoping to become an author one day. Currently she is a staff writer for Her Campus.