Life > Academics

What I’ve Learned as a Communications Major at FSU

As a student studying Public Relations (PR) at Florida State University (FSU), I’ve discovered that being a communications major involves much more than just talking (although we do love to chat). It’s about building a successful career in a fast-paced industry. Along with that comes developing a variety of valuable skills, networking with professionals, and staying current with the latest trends and technology.

But don’t worry: with a little hard work and a lot of caffeine, you too can thrive as a communications major! I’ve put together a list of tips that I believe are essential for anyone studying communications at FSU.

1. Join student organizations

A lot of people think that the communications degree doesn’t require a lot of coursework—that’s because a lot of what we do is outside of the classroom. In this field, it’s important to take what you learn in class and apply it to real-world situations. 

Joining organizations like the Florida Public Relations Association (FPRA), Advertising Club (AD Club), and Social Spear can provide you with valuable experience, resume-building opportunities, and connections that could help jumpstart your career after graduation. If you’re interested in writing online articles, Her Campus is a great option, as well as Strike Magazine, Clutch, and DWF.  They all provide opportunities for students to showcase their writing skills in their magazines.

2. use your campus resources

Another important tip is to make use of the resources available on campus. Visiting your career liaison to get your resume looked over, doing mock interviews, and attending career fairs or panels can all be valuable opportunities to build your skills and network with professionals in the field. 

Additionally, don’t be afraid to ask your professors for more ways you can get involved in the industry or gain practical experience. Your professors are a great resource, keeping in touch through email or staying after class to ask questions are great ways to show that you are dedicated to the course material.

Although it can feel daunting to introduce yourself to a professor or do a mock interview at the career center, just remember that the faculty are a great resource, and they want to help you succeed!

3. Pick a strong double major/minor

While you’re in college, it might be important to consider what industry you want to pursue and how you can best position yourself for success. One way to do this is by picking a strong minor or double major that complements your interests and career goals. For example, if you’re interested in hospitality PR, you could double major in both hospitality and PR to show potential employers that you’ve put great thought into your degree. 

Similarly, if you’re interested in event planning, you could pursue the special events certificate that FSU offers. By choosing a minor or double major that aligns with your career aspirations, you can demonstrate your commitment to the field and set yourself apart from other job candidates.

4. network with your peers

In the field of communications, networking is key. Making connections with professionals in your industry can open doors to new job opportunities, mentorship, and even lifelong friendships.

However, it is just as important to network with your peers. Your classmates can help you build relationships, gain insights into different areas of the industry, and even lead to future job opportunities. One way to network with other students is to get involved in student organizations like FPRA or the AD Club. These groups offer opportunities to meet like-minded students and attend industry events with others. 

Another way to network is to attend guest speaker events and panels hosted by your department or student organizations. These events give you the chance to learn from professionals in the industry, ask questions, and make valuable connections. By networking with your peers, you can expand your professional circle and position yourself for success in the field of communications. Remember, the people sitting next to you in class might be hiring you one day!

5. build your personal brand

Finally, don’t forget to prioritize building your personal brand. While obtaining a degree is important, college is also a time for personal growth and development. It’s not always just about having a good resume or portfolio, it’s also about understanding what makes you unique and using that to your advantage. 

Your personal brand is what sets you apart from other candidates and showcases your strengths and values. By showcasing your individuality, you can set yourself apart from other candidates and demonstrate your value to potential employers. In today’s competitive job market, a strong personal brand can be the key to landing your dream job.

Overall, my time as a communications major at FSU has been an incredible journey filled with growth, learning, and unforgettable experiences. I am grateful for the support and guidance of my professors, the opportunities provided by the student organizations, and the friendships I’ve made along the way. 

I hope that the tips and insights I’ve shared will inspire you to make the most of your college experience and pave the way for a successful career in communications. Good luck!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Alyssa Bynum is a junior at Florida State University studying Public Relations. Her favorite things include her cat Maple, her espresso machine, and wildly unrealistic romance stories.