A Daily Recap of My First Week Studying Abroad at FSU London

Ever wonder what the first week of studying abroad is like? Well, after this past week, I can answer that question, and if I had to describe it in one word, it would be “unreal.”

Although the first adjustments were tough, like getting over jetlag, a five-hour time change, and constantly walking upstairs (there are basically no elevators in the United Kingdom. It’s brutal), I’ve been able to do and see some truly amazing things. Here’s a breakdown of my first week studying abroad in London, England!

Day 1

This was definitely the most stressful day of the program, as I flew into London and very quickly came to FSU’s study center and immediately started orientation. I learned the layout of the study center, which is quite literally a maze, and went to my flat where I’ll be staying for the next four months. After a quick welcome session, a few of us in the program went to dinner at a pub, because you have to on your first night in the UK!

Day 2

Day 2 started early with a historical tour of our neighborhood, which has so much rich history and new things to learn at every corner. A few of us quickly went to lunch before getting something warm to eat and drink. It’s so cold here, and being outside even for a little bit warrants a hot drink! We then had more orientation and then ran over to see Parliament and Big Ben, which is so cool to see at night. We walked the Thames a bit and then headed back for some dinner in our flats.

Day 3

Day 3 was also an early start, and the combination of jetlag and not being a morning person was starting to get to me. At my flatmate’s recommendation, I got coffee from a café not too far from me and it was so good. I’m already a frequent customer!

We had our last orientation session and lunch, then went on a practical walking tour of the neighborhood, which has come in handy. A few of us decided to run over to Buckingham Palace after and took some pictures. After getting separated on the tube, we made it back just in time for ice skating at Somerset House. It was so beautiful, although I was very focused on not wiping out while skating. After a quick dinner, we went on a pub crawl and found some great spots!

Day 4

This day was much more relaxed. I was finally able to sleep in during the morning and then went on a bus tour around the city, seeing lots of new sights and learning things I never knew about London. After this, a group of us went to explore Chinatown and get dinner, which was probably the best Chinese food I’ve ever had. We then decided to go to Tower Bridge, one of the only major landmarks we hadn’t seen yet, and then had an early night in preparation for the first day of class the next day.

Day 5

Thankfully, I was able to avoid Monday classes on my schedule, so I had the “first day” all to myself. I slept in and then went to the British Museum, which was so crazy to see. I spent several hours there and was only able to see about half of the exhibits, so I’ll be going back soon! I did end up losing count of all the artifacts that should be returned to their home countries… but that’s a whole other conversation.

The rest of the day was very relaxed. I made dinner and watched a movie with friends, and of course, prepared for my first day of class.

Day 6

I do have to say, my first day of class was so great! Classes here are three hours long, which is brutal, but it also means you can only take a maximum of two a day, and that’s exactly what my Tuesdays look like. I have a writing course in the morning and an Irish culture class in the afternoon. Both are super interesting, and I already know will be lots of fun.

After classes, I grabbed some food and then headed off to a group event at a West End show, Hamilton! Watching a musical about the American Revolution in England was definitely an experience, but that show is just so amazing and entertaining that I could go again and again!

Day 7

I had one class in the morning. It’s a European history course, which I’m sure will be super fun to learn about while in Europe. I then went to Borough Market, which most people probably know for having the famous chocolate strawberries that went viral on TikTok. Let me tell you, they are so worth the hype! I also got some fresh products to make grilled cheese and tomato soup for some people in the program, which is how we spent the night. It was perfect for a grey winter day in London.

Day 8

Writing this after being here for a full week is truly crazy. I feel as though I arrived this morning! This morning was the first day of a really fascinating political science course, which prompted me and some classmates to take the tube over to 10 Downing Street and Trafalgar Square.

I could talk for hours about this week alone, but I have to go get ready for the group meal where I’ll try authentic Indian food for the first time! I’m sure I’ll be giving many more London updates through Her Campus at FSU, but till then, cheerio!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Michaela Galligan is a second-year student at Florida State University originally from Tampa, FL. She is studying political science and editing, writing, & media studies with a minor in communications and hopes to one day enter the field of political journalism and reporting. She is passionate about politics, football, music, traveling, and all things FSU.