fall day in landis, outside strozier, florida state campus, golden hour
Madeline Schmidt

3 Ways To Say “I Love You” Like an FSU Student

It’s not a secret that Florida State has many traditions and normalities that would leave anyone else a little confused or shook. From our 21st birthday fountain throws to everyone’s passion for the Sweet Shop, our niches as FSU students and Tallahassee residents are a never-ending list.

With Valentine’s Day approaching, I’ve compiled three ways to say “I love you” in only ways that an FSU student would understand that don’t include gift-giving or a significant other. I get it, we want to go all out for our girls or significant others during the month of love, but realistically, we’re all broke college students. This could leave us scrambling for ways to show the people we love the most that we care! Valentine’s Day can also bring up negative feelings regarding relationship status or just the corny emphasis businesses put on the holiday. I believe there’s no shame in celebrating the holiday in any capacity you’re comfortable with.

Here are some ideas on how you can spread some love around Florida State this month! 

“DO YOU WANT TO TAKE A WALK WITH ME?”

Hot girl walks are in for 2024 and I’m declaring that anyone can partake in a hot girl walk. 2024 is for hot people walks! Nothing beats a walk around our beautiful campus and doing a lap or two around Doak Campbell Stadium. This is your sign to get into your favorite, cutest athleisure and sneakers, grab your favorite people, and get your hot girl walk on! These walks can be a great opportunity to get away from the craziness of life. I like to take advantage of a hot girl walk to talk (and listen) about literally anything with my best friends and boyfriend. 

“I RESERVED A STUDY ROOM IN STROZIER FOR US!”

It might just be me, but if someone reserves and invites me to a study room, I want to go about 10 times more than I did originally. As a result, this has turned into one of my academic love languages. Study rooms save me from the stress of attempting to find a table at Strozier. The conversations in the study room are always the most random, but of such good quality at the same time. Next time you need to write a paper, finish some assignments, or study for an upcoming test, book a study room (it’s super easy) and invite the besties! 

“DEBRIEF AT the SWEET SHOP?”

One of my favorite traditions that I started during my freshman year was debriefing at the Sweet Shop after a late night out. They have something for everyone, from iced coffees to the best wraps and croissant sandwiches. It’s always so cozy and homey that the debriefs go even crazier somehow. I shamelessly will spend hours in there even after finishing my meal. It’s the perfect spot to work on homework or to help your friend craft the perfect text for her crush. The morning after your next late night, I hope you grab your favorite people and head to the Sweet Shop for an iconic debrief. Maybe even memorialize it by signing one of the walls! 

I hope you now have some ideas on how to spread some love this February around Florida State!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hi, my name is Kara and I am a Retail Entrepreneurship major from Tampa, Florida! I love traveling, going to concerts, coffee runs, and film cameras!