I have always thought that I wanted to study abroad. Once I was accepted to FSU, I looked into their programs and almost instantly thought going abroad would be way out of my reach because of the price. Flash forward to my sophomore year and I am still entertaining the idea because I just changed one of my majors to Editing, Writing, and Media (EWM) and there are EWM study abroad programs that sound amazing. 

I went to the 2021 Study Abroad Fair to learn a little more about the programs within my major and after learning more about the program in Valencia I was in love. The EWM major requires several electives and an internship. These elective credits can be filled by the program in Valencia and I learned there was a chance to fulfill the internship credit. I knew this was the program I wanted to do but something prevented me from signing up for the 2022 Summer session. 

I decided to wait a year before jumping into such a big commitment. I didn’t feel that I was ready to travel to a foreign country without my family. I also wanted to take more courses within the major before applying to be an intern. Choosing to study abroad accelerated my graduation timeline and that scared me. I wasn’t ready to make that decision as a sophomore. While going in 2022 probably would have worked out fine, choosing the 2023 program felt right. 

I have now been preparing for over a year for this trip and I feel more than ready. This will be the first time I have ever traveled alone. This is a big step in life, and I am nervous but ready to make it. I also have a lot more EWM classes under my belt, so I feel prepared to take the classes offered during the program. While we are there, we create a magazine and I’m not sure that I from a year ago would have had any idea where to start. This program will be a resume builder as much as it is a personal experience. I wanted to put my best foot forward and I believe that choosing to wait makes this possible. 

Over the last year, I have done a lot of things to prep. I have overanalyzed the weather to make sure I am packing all the necessary clothes. My Amazon wish list is overflowing with recommended items from Youtube, Pinterest, and TikTok. My bucket list for the trip is never-ending. I have worked relentlessly on my writing and editing skills. Perhaps one of the most exciting things that happened during my year of prep was finding out I won an airfare scholarship from FSU International Programs. 

Making this decision to study abroad has opened so many doors for me and I haven’t even done the program yet. I joined Her Campus so that I could work on my writing skills in preparation. I fell in love with writing again. I even started a blog to update it while abroad! 

If you’ve read any of my previous articles, you’ll know I’m a big fan of Formula One. Europe is where a majority of the races take place, so I am hoping to make it to one of the four grand prix taking place during my program. Harry Styles and Niall Horan are both touring in Europe during the summer so I would love to make it to one of their shows as well. 

No matter what happens, I know this will be a life-changing experience and I can’t wait to see what the future holds. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Peyton is a senior double majoring in Communications and Editing, Writing, Media. She is a member of the Majorette Line with the Marching Chiefs and she hopes to one day be a sports reporter.