Many students walking through Florida State University’s Landis Green may have noticed the colorful signs and adorable puppies out to play earlier this week. Students passing through could stop to play with them in exchange for a small donation. The donations support Delta Nu Zeta’s philanthropic efforts to Rest Your Paws Pet Refuge, but who are the women of Delta Nu Zeta? 

I first heard about Delta Nu Zeta earlier this semester at the Involvement Fair, where I was drawn to the photos of groups of women laughing together. Their kind spirits and happy faces encouraged me to learn more about them, and even go through the process of recruitment. Through fun icebreakers and bonding activities, I got to know some of the women first-hand. Though I chose not to continue rushing, every woman I met truly embodied the sorority’s core values of passion, sisterhood and charity. 

Delta Nu Zeta (DNZ) is a service sorority with core values of passion, sisterhood and charity. They are a non-Panhellenic sorority, which means that they are smaller, less expensive and emphasize community while participating in sisterhood events that a Panhellenic sorority does. 

For those who may not be familiar with the vocabulary surrounding Greek Life, the Panhellenic Association is a group of the 17 main national sororities found at Florida State University. The Panhellenic Association is one of the four institutions of Greek Life found on campus and is a melting pot for all the sororities to support one another. When people typically think about a sorority, they probably think about a chapter that is associated with Panhellenic. 

DNZ is different from other sororities on campus because they are not affiliated with the Panhellenic Association. The Panhellenic chapters are usually found nationally or internationally and can be identified by the large houses surrounding the campus. Sororities hold different fundraisers for their individual philanthropies, and also have big and little sisters, semi-formal, formal, sisterhood retreats and so on. Because of all these events, national dues and facility management for the house, members pay thousands of dollars per semester to be considered official. Delta Nu Zeta hosts many events similar to those of a Panhellenic chapter, but for a much more affordable cost and on a smaller scale.

The philanthropic partner of DNZ is Rest Your Paws Pet Refuge, and earlier this week they hosted an event called “Smooch a Pooch” on Landis Green where students could find some stress relief in puppies of different sizes and breeds who were ready to play or cuddle. 

There are many ways to get involved in the community with Delta Nu Zeta, especially if you’re an animal lover like me. They host an event during the fall semester called “Puppies and Pumpkins” where students can take pictures and spend some time with dogs on Landis Green that can be adopted. In December, they participate in the Reindeer Run and other events that all benefit their philanthropy. 

With about 100 members and people from many diverse backgrounds, Delta Nu Zeta is without a doubt a group of women dedicated to their sisterhood. Recruitment occurs in both the fall and the spring, so if you enjoyed smooching some pooches this week on Landis, consider following the links below. 

For more information on the Panhellenic Association and chapters, visit the link here! For more information on Delta Nu Zeta and how to get involved, visit their website and Instagram page

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Hello there! I am a current student at Florida State University looking to expand on my writing capabilities. I enjoy reading, listening to music, spending time outside, and dancing.