food and laptop
food and laptop
Original photo by McKenna Robinson
Life > Academics

Snack and Study: Best Restaurants to Study at On or Near FSU’s Campus

As cliché as it may sound, balancing everything in college can be super overwhelming. Between finding time to study, eat, make friends, sleep, and anything in between, it can be a struggle to get it all done. The biggest saving grace in my college career has been combining these tasks together (i.e., grabbing a bite to eat while I study). Whether you live on or off campus, these are some common places Florida State University (FSU) students go to eat and hit the books.

sweet shop

Located just a few minutes away from Landis Green, the Sweet Shop is known for its breakfast foods and coffees. The menu goes way beyond that with food and drinks like paninis, sandwiches, chai, and teas. The best part is that they have seasonal drinks all year round, such as the Halloween and Valentine’s Day flavored chai drinks.

The Sweet Shop has plenty of seating options, including booths and large tables. There are also a few tables outside with a roof to protect you, rain or shine. The free Wi-Fi makes it a no-brainer to come study here. However, something to know is that there’s a lot of movement here, with people constantly coming in and out to grab their food. There is also a piano that anyone can play, which can be distracting if you left your headphones at home. The Sweet Shop is a class go-to for FSU students to get their work done.

Hours: 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily

greenwise

Greenwise (owned by Publix) is in Collegetown and offers a great studying and dining experience. Despite it being an entire store full of groceries, they also serve pre-made sushi, made-to-order subs (dubbed Pub Subs), acai bowls, and coffee drinks. Greenwise is also famous for having tons of free samples, so it can be fun to do a lap around the store just for a brain break.

There are both indoor and outdoor seating options. The indoor seating is upstairs, taking away the distraction of seeing people moving around the store. The outdoor covered seating is right at the entrance, which lines up to Gaines Street. This could be an issue if noise and movement will drive you crazy, but overall, this is a top-tier place to study.

Hours: 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. daily

1851

1851 is a nice restaurant hall on campus with some study spaces inside of it. It’s attached to the Azalea dorm hall, but you don’t need to live there to get inside it. With options like Starbucks, Tuscan Eatery (Italian food), and Tally Mac Shack, there is something for everyone. One of the best parts about 1851 is that its Starbucks operates solely through mobile ordering, so you can avoid long lines and the anxiety of ordering in person.

The first floor of 1851 includes some booths, tables, and couches, which are ideal for eating comfortably. On the second floor of 1851 are plenty of tables and a couple of couch-like chairs, which are very popular for studying. The second floor is typically empty during the day, so this can be a great place to kill some time between classes. Just like Greenwise, the presence of a second floor can help you not get distracted seeing people walk in and out. The only downfall I can think of is that since there are multiple restaurants in here, it can get noisy, but this is essentially going to happen anywhere.

Hours:
Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Saturday: 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
Sunday: 10:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

argo tea

Argo Tea is located on the outskirts of Landis Green, which makes it a great place to stop on the way to or from classes. Don’t let the name fool you; there’s more than just tea here. They have tea, bubble tea, coffee, and their own specialty drinks called “teapuccinos.” The biggest downfall is that they only have light snacks here, so if you’re looking for something substantial, you might want to drop by another place first.

Argo Tea has indoor seating and benches with tables outside. This is perfect if you want to enjoy some fresh air and take in the Landis Green view. Argo Tea does close relatively early (at 3 p.m.) so make sure you plan out your study time wisely. This location is perfect if you’re living in the dorms because it is nearly in the heart of campus.

Hours:
Monday-Friday 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Saturday-Sunday: Closed

There are plenty of food and study places on FSU’s campus, so it may be helpful to test them all out and see what works best for you. Romanticizing my study time by getting a little treat and taking in the views while I work has been a game changer for me, so give yourself the freedom to enjoy the time you spend on work!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Amanda Abarca is an English Education major who enjoys all things pop culture, fitness, and comedy related. When she's not writing articles, you can find her teaching spin classes, watching a football game, or spending time with friends.