Have you ever found yourself studying in the Oglesby Student Union, only to be carried away by the hypnotic tunes of jazz emanating from above? If so, you may have been enchanted by the mesmerizing tunes of Florida State University’s (FSU) resident “piano man,” Sammy Hanson. His love for the piano is evident in every note he plays and his unwavering commitment to his craft has earned him a reputation as one of the most skilled jazz musicians in town.

From playing piano at kindergarten recitals to performing at prestigious venues like Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center, Sammy Hanson has come a long way. In this interview with Her Campus, the FSU student talks about why he chose to pursue music, his favorite performances and how he got involved with his band Chef Will and Tonight’s Special.

Her Campus (HC): Why did you choose to go to FSU?

Sammy Hanson (SH): After touring and auditioning, I realized that FSU has the type of environment that I want to be in. I didn’t want to isolate myself by going to a school exclusively for elite musicians. FSU has so much more to offer outside of music. There are so many different places to go in Tallahassee, groups of people to meet and the school is amazing. I am glad I chose it. 

HC: How did you decide you wanted to pursue music as a career? 

SH: When it was time to decide what I wanted to do with my life, nothing brought me joy like playing piano. For most people, it’s a pretty big risk to jump into the arts as a career. But for me, it was the natural choice. Music is so rewarding and it makes me happy. After all, you don’t “work” music, you play music. Luckily, I think it’s working out for me!

HC: Do you remember your first time performing in front of a crowd?

SH: Yes. Back when I was in kindergarten taking private lessons, once a year they made all their students perform for a recital. I remember crying on the way because of how stressed I was; I felt terribly unprepared. I think I ended up playing fine. 

HC: How would you say you’ve grown as a performer since that first performance?

SH: Whenever I get nervous now, it gets channeled into musical energy. Playing venues like Carnegie Hall puts things into perspective. Once you’ve played there, it’s like “man, I can do this.” Then the Lincoln Center after that. That one was the most stressful because I had Grammy-award-winning artists actively watching and judging me. This semester, I got to play at the Lincoln Center again and I was able to just have fun. 

HC: Do you have a favorite performance or opportunity that you’ve been a part of?

SH: Playing in New York this semester for the Jack Rudin Jazz Championship. It was the first time FSU has ever been selected and it was a huge deal just to be invited because you can’t audition. I’m very happy we went because FSU is finally being recognized for having a great music school, specifically for jazz. 

HC: Tell me about one of your most memorable performances.

SH: The first time I performed at Lincoln Center was for a national jazz competition called “Essentially Ellington.” The top 10 high schools from around the nation were selected and it was the first time ours had gone. We felt like the fresh kids on the block. After the performance, I received an award for my solo. 

HC: Tell me about your band, Chef Will and Tonight’s Special. How did you get involved with this group?

SH: In the Fall of 2020 I got put into a jazz ensemble for the College of Music. Bassist Aaron McNamara came up to me and said I might be a good fit for a group he started with his friend. I asked Aaron who he was and he says, “his name is Chef Will.” And I ask, “chef? Does he cook?” He responded, “He’s not always in the kitchen, but he’s making musical food.” 

They sent me a few recordings beforehand, but they didn’t sound like me. I started playing things a little differently, putting my own sound into it and they were blown away. Everything clicked for us. Fall 2021 we rehearsed 10 songs for a studio album called the Goldie Live Sessions. That was the first time we played as a group publicly and the first time I was producing and performing things that felt like my own which was extremely special.

Starting out, Chef Will and I would go door-to-door, asking businesses if they had any interest in live music. Over time, each gig gathered a larger crowd. Spring of 2022 is when we really took off. Businesses started coming to us instead. We have a song out that we wrote in just two days in Aaron’s kitchen, it was put onto a Spotify editorial playlist for Fresh Finds Jazz. That song is called “Ride Around.”

HC: Why do you think more people should listen to jazz?

SH: In my opinion, jazz is the most expressive form of music that exists. It is very hard to understand why unless you are knowledgeable about what’s happening. A lot of people listen to jazz and are overwhelmed or think “this is just elevator music”. It can be so much deeper than that. For me, I can hear stories through improvisation in the same way a singer would write their stories out. 

When it comes to jazz, it’s about 95 percent spontaneously created in the moment and can’t be replicated. Even though we are playing the same songs, there are so many variables that can be changed each time we perform. Every musician is on stage doing something new. We have the song playing in our heads which grounds us, but we’re also listening to each other and creating a conversation through our instruments.

HC: What advice would you give to aspiring musicians?

SH: Don’t quit. I quit once; I was sad and regretted it. Keep going. You’re only ever going to get as good as you let yourself. Do not limit your possibilities, because you never know what will happen. A lot of what has happened for me is luck and some of the great opportunities I’ve gotten have been because of networking. Expose yourself to as many musicians as you can because this is not an industry you can handle alone.

With his innovative spirit and relentless passion, Sammy is poised to make a significant impact in the world of jazz by continuing to inspire others with his melodies in the coming years.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Alyssa Bynum is a junior at Florida State University studying Public Relations. Her favorite things include her cat Maple, her espresso machine, and wildly unrealistic romance stories.