Dear Spring 2024 Semester,

It’s my final semester at Florida State, and I can’t believe how quickly these four years have passed. I have grown significantly during my stay here and have picked up a lot of insightful knowledge. As a first-generation college student, I had no idea what to anticipate when I enrolled in school in 2020. I wanted to provide myself and my loved ones with a better life, so I became the first person in my family to attend college. Despite having so little, my mom has done so much for me, and I have always wanted to return the favor. Now that I have applied for graduation, I am that much closer to achieving that dream.

The summer after my freshman year, I applied to transfer to UCF to be closer to home, but I was unable to attend due to financial constraints. I was quite bummed, but everything happens for a reason. If I had gone to UCF, I would never have met my boyfriend, who is a Tallahassee local and my best friend. I’m grateful for Tallahassee because I would never have met my friend Ana, who lived in the same dorm hall as me and is one of the loveliest people I know. I would not have had my current friend group, which includes some of the funniest and most genuine people I’ve ever encountered.

I also would have never met Lauren, an incoming freshman who was my roommate during the summer. Although Lauren was unaware of it, having her move in was the best thing that could have happened to me at the time since I was grieving the loss of my childhood cat. She made me feel like I was never alone, and to my surprise, she was someone that I bonded with during those short couple of months.

As much as I love FSU, I believe I have outgrown my time in Tallahassee. I am grateful for the many valuable relationships I have formed as well as the chaotic memories of my nights out. There won’t be another moment in my life when I can live five minutes away from all my friends, so I want to end this semester strong and make some lifelong memories.

It’s bittersweet knowing I’m only a few months away from graduation, yet the waves of grief hit heavier as a new milestone in my life arrives. My father died when I was 13 years old, so he never saw me graduate from high school, and he will not see me as I walk across the stage with two degrees. It’s difficult knowing he won’t be there to cheer me on, but it’s comforting to know that the degrees will have our last name. I hope I made him proud, because being a first-generation Latina student is not without its challenges.

I appreciate the memories you have given me, FSU, and I can’t wait to create more over the coming few months. I am excited to see what the future holds as I enter this new period of life.

Sincerely,

Cynthia

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hello, my name is Cynthia, and I am a senior studying politics and sociology. I love to write and aspire to work as a political reporter.