Must-Watch Films for a Girls’ Night In at FSU

As a college student and someone who’s always been interested in the film world, movie nights with my girls are a must. The aesthetics of the dimmed lights and blankets along with the hilarious adlibs from my friends make these nights something to look forward to.

FSU offers so many opportunities when it comes to finding ways to have your own movie night, as many of the dorm hall study rooms have televisions in them. Recently, I’ve watched Scream IV, Five Nights at Freddy’s, and 10 Things I Hate About You on the television in the study room. Even if your local study room doesn’t have a television, you can use your computer or phone to watch movies in your dorm as well!

This list of movies is separated by a wide range of movie night vibes, whether you are looking for a classic film or one that makes you laugh until you pee. The following list is sure to give you at least one idea so you can spend your night with some popcorn and your favorite girlies.

For the football lovers

Let’s be honest here… FSU culture is mostly about football. We have a giant student section and seats that sell out within the day. We have the Marching Chiefs that practice day in and day out to perfect the song for the beloved tomahawk chop, as well as seemingly endless amounts of alumni tailgates in the parking lots.

Some ideas for your football movie night are:

1. The Blind Side (2009)
  2. Rudy (1993)
  3. The Replacements (2000)

All of these movies tackle the struggles of college football as well as give you motivation for our future games at FSU. As we near the end of our football season, these movies can reinvigorate our excitement for the next couple of games to come!

The Classics

Sometimes all you want to do at your girls’ night-in is to watch some feel-good classic movies. Whether they’re funny, heartbreaking, or both, I am 98 percent sure that everyone will want to watch these never-boring films.

1. Pitch Perfect (2012)
  2. Revenge of the Nerds (1984)

Both of these movies are absolutely hilarious and never get old. They both also cover the weird experiences you may go through while going to college for the first time. And who knows? Maybe after watching Pitch Perfect, you’ll be inspired to join FSU’s acapella group, the AcaBelles. Or after watching Revenge of the Nerds, you’ll try to start your own fraternity or sorority on campus! Anything is possible after watching these classics.

For the academics

Like all college students, we struggle with rejection and time management. These movies absolutely make you feel seen in these issues and give you the motivation to overcome them.

1. The Paper Chase (1973)
  2. Accepted (2006)

If you’re looking for a comedic-academic film, I would definitely recommend Accepted. If you’re looking for a drama piece that truly motivates you, The Paper Chase is a perfect fit!

For those who aren’t over Halloween yet

Honestly, I don’t blame you. I’ve also still been watching scary movies after Halloween. They’re just so good! If you want a college-based spooky movie, these movies are sure to excite you and your party.

1. Scream 2 (1997)
  2. Happy Death Day (2017)

These films are great spooky classics that will be sure to hit a little closer to home as they take place on college campuses. They’re perfect for college students looking for a little scare!

For those who want to feel empowered

Coming from experience, girl empowerment is one of the strongest feelings known to womankind. If you and your girlies are looking for a little extra motivation to keep pursuing your dreams and knocking down barriers, these movies are for you!

1. Mona Lisa Smile (2003)
  2. Legally Blonde (2001)

Mona Lisa Smile excellently tackles the idea of gender roles while in college and definitely gave me a feeling of empowerment to tackle them in real life too. It also stars the beautiful Julia Roberts, and who doesn’t love to see her in movies? Legally Blonde is the perfect movie for my law girlies, leaving you feeling like you can do anything you put your mind to, just like Elle Woods. You really just can’t get tired of watching it!

For those who want a laugh

This is arguably one of my favorite movie night vibes. Being able to sit and laugh with a tub of snacks and your girls is unmatched. If you want some college-themed comedies, this is your stop.

1. Booksmart (2019)
  2. Monsters University (2013)
  3. 21 & Over (2013)
  4. Back to School (1986)

Booksmart specifically is an amazing watch if you’re a freshman, as the protagonists are high school seniors preparing for their graduation and going to college. Overall, all of these movies are hilarious and are sure to give you and your group a good laugh.

Girls’ movie night will be one of the best nights of your time at college, and this list is filled to the brim with films that would fit any theme for your night.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Reese Hrannarsson is a staff writer at the Her Campus at Florida State University chapter. She writes bi-weekly articles surrounding personal, culture, and campus topics. Beyond Her Campus, Reese is the Director of Finance for Florida State University's Women Student Union and the Secretary for the Women In Government club. She is a sophomore majoring in Political Science and Economics and is interested in working in government. In her free time, Reese enjoys going biking and spending time with family and friends. She also loves travelling and hopes to travel to every U.S. capital.