Life > Experiences

Move Out Season Is Coming Up and I Am Stressed…

As a first-year moving is completely new to me, and it is stressing me out. Moving out of your home for college is immediate adulting. Having to pack, clean, and move all my things alone on top of studying and completing my finals seems impossible to me as someone who has never experienced it. In about two and a half weeks I will have to be moving out of my apartment, and I do not even know where to begin. I know I am not the only person anticipating all my stress for that week. In order to lessen my anxiety, I came up with some tips that I know will be helpful to share with anyone who is also just as stressed as me!

Spring Cleaning

Everyone knows there are clothing items they brought to college that are no longer their style, so it is time to eliminate those from your closet. All your high school merch needs to go. You do not need that for your next years in college. Start now. Anything you might find in your closet that you do not wear, start setting it apart and create a designated pile. This way you will slowly start cleaning up your closet without it taking you as long. Once you are satisfied with the clothes you are giving away, you can always donate them to homeless shelters or sell some on second-hand websites. Reselling your clothes will be a way to make a bit of money before you go on your summer trips! This will make your packing process so much easier as you no longer have to sort through clothing you do not want to pack.

Start Packing Early

Packing slowly but surely as your moving date approaches will make your life so much easier once you need to go back home. Start by packing in sections. Start with your bathroom and all your towels and other items you will not need for your last couple of days. Then you can move on to your closet, or any room decor that is usually not necessary. Working in sections will make your process more organized and faster. Also, if you work in sections, you can label your packing boxes for the sections of your apartment in order to make moving in easier in the fall. Another tip to take up less space when packing up is to vacuum seal your clothes which is also helpful when moving back in. Lastly, you should also pack a small bag of necessary items to keep with you for your last couple of days once you have packed everything up. Packing early will be less stressful, and when unpacking, everything will be more organized.

Rent a Storage Unit

If you are moving back next semester, renting a storage unit is your best bet! Pick a storage unit near your old or new apartment to make your moving process easier. If you split the space with your roommates or friends, it will not be as expensive. Renting out a storage unit will save you the hassle of taking all your items back home and having to bring them back. Bigger items like your mattress pad, night table, or other big decorations can be stored there for your convenience. For most storage units you need to reserve your spot two weeks prior to you using it so now is a perfect time!

Do not feel overwhelmed and start preparing now and your moving process will go by smoothly!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, and Pinterest!

Hey! I am Sophia I was born in Miami but Colombian at heart. I love the world of social media and fashion. I've been a YouTube girl since 2010 so O.G British YouTubers and One Direction are my thing. I hope you enjoy reading my articles!