Career

The Ignite Fellowship Offers A New Kind of Activism to FSU Students

Joan Nygbah didn’t expect to become a teacher while still in college. But as a lifelong lover of kids, she found an unexpected home with Teach for America (TFA), a non-profit organization whose mission is to mobilize people nationwide to further educational equity and excellence.

This opportunity isn’t just for Nygbah. At FSU, students have the unique chance to work with children all over the country in personalized tutoring sessions designed to get them on target for their grade level in reading and math. It’s known as the Ignite Fellowship.

The program is virtual, part-time, and paid, making it a desirable calling for anyone who loves to work with kids on a flexible schedule. The requirements are few: TFA simply asks that you be an undergraduate student with a passion for education and at least a 2.5 GPA.

When FSU students sign up for the fellowship, they have the option of searching for schools that align with their class schedules and can adjust for time zones, desired grade levels, and class subjects they’d like to focus on. In the fall, Nygbah worked with two students, a boy and a girl, who were attending elementary school in Mississippi.

Nygbah found out about Ignite through a friend and has been a Fellow in the program since the fall of 2023. For her, it was a way to connect her passion for learning to her love of kids. “I’ve always liked the ability to teach students about the possibilities that are available through education,” she said.

The children who qualify for the Ignite Fellowship range from elementary school students to high schoolers. All of them are struggling with the expectations of their subjects and are not on target to move on to the next grade. “Through this program, we’re able to get them that extra help they need to succeed in the future,” says Nygbah.

While the assigned teacher provides each Ignite Fellow with a plan, Nygbah found that her students were more eager to learn when she tailored lessons to their individual needs. “I edit what I want to focus on that specific day and add my own interactive games,” says Nygbah.

As young children, they can quickly get distracted if they aren’t being actively engaged by their tutors. Nygbah mentioned that the additional challenge of learning via Zoom compounded attention issues, so she made the effort to connect with them on a personal level. “I try to be relatable and ask them if everything is okay,” she said.

For many of the students, the answer to that question would be no. TFA prioritizes schools that are lacking in resources, and Ignite Fellows are often working with children in low-income areas. The schools suffer from internet connectivity issues, teacher shortages, and a lack of appropriate funding for educational initiatives. “A lot of people don’t know that there are limited resources available for students in low-income environments,” said Nygbah.

That’s where Ignite Fellows come in. Through TFA, they have a chance to combat economic disparity and provide opportunities for students to learn in an immersive and supportive virtual classroom. In the process, they learn about the systemic racism and inequity steeped in the United States’ educational structure. 98 percent of Fellows gained new insight into the state of education and how they could work toward educational equity, according to the official TFA website.

Nygbah’s personal experiences aligned well with the mission of TFA, which is to create an inclusive community and fight educational inequity. “I was that kid with educational inequity in my school and community,” she said. “I wasn’t able to have the same resources as a child would in another community.”

Working with the students has been a fulfilling way for her to give back and break the cycles that often limit children from believing in themselves and pursuing opportunities for higher learning. “I want to make sure [my students] know they can succeed despite all the disadvantages they face,” said Nygbah.

For the children, the simple act of having an older collegiate mentor consistently show up for them can be life-changing. Working with Ignite Fellows opens their eyes to a world beyond the one they have previously known and provides them with emotional support. “If I thought the inequity or disadvantages that I had when I was younger was all that I had available, I wouldn’t be here today,” said Nygbah. For her, it starts with “understanding that circumstances are real and not every day [with the kids] is going to be a good day.”

She went on to say that the kids she works with feel discouraged when they don’t get representation and understanding from their teachers. Ignite addresses this issue by offering eager young students one-on-one mentorship with a college student who gets to see them grow weekly. “With these schools and communities, they don’t have enough teachers to really pay attention to them, listen to what they are going through,” said Nygbah. “I think this is a beautiful way to have that one-on-one connection.”

One of the best parts of being an Ignite Fellow is getting to watch the children you supervise grow over the course of a semester. The more the students interact with their tutors, the more they open up and grow confident in their ability to succeed. “I loved seeing them grow from shy and quiet to loving what they were learning,” said Nygbah.

The children, once pushed a little, are quick learners and eager to connect with their tutors. As college students, Ignite Fellows have a level of coolness that gives them clout with their young mentees. But Fellows learn just as much from their students. Nygbah admires the openness and vulnerability that her students bring to each learning session. Seeing the children continually put themselves out there and sharpen their learning skills has been inspiring for her. “They’re at the age where they don’t feel condemned or restricted in what questions they ask or in what they participate in,” said Nygbah. “They’re just free.”

By working with them each week for three to five hours, she learned to grow more confident in herself and take more chances in her daily life. Nygbah resonates with the kids she tutors, who are often reserved at first but eager to learn. “I’m watching my childhood right now,” she joked.

Nygbah’s passion for education has also led to further opportunities within the Ignite Fellowship. In addition to her responsibilities as a tutor, she serves as an ambassador for TFA to the FSU campus. Her goal is to raise awareness of Ignite’s mission and recruit college students to join in the fight against educational inequity. As Ignite is still a relatively new program, they are always actively searching for passionate students from all majors who want to help foster a love of learning in the community.

Nygbah can often be found presenting to various student organizations and is hoping to set up a stand at Market Wednesday starting the fall semester of 2024. The goal is to publicize the Ignite Fellowship and maximize engagement with the FSU campus. Fellows often get to attend fun mixers and team-building events with TFA staff to foster connections with one another and meet like-minded volunteers.

For young students unsure of where they fit in an educational system that doesn’t cater to them, the right tutor can make all the difference. “All it takes is that one person,” said Nygbah.

For those interested in participating in Teach for America’s Ignite Fellowship program, you can find more information about applications here.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Havilah Sciabbarrasi is a senior at Florida State University and working toward a degree in Editing, Writing, and Media (AKA English). She is the current editor-in-chief of The Kudzu Review, an undergraduate literary magazine that takes submissions in fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and visual art from students all over the country. When she's not busy writing her hot takes on all things campus, entertainment, and books, she can usually be found romanticizing New York, ranting on Goodreads, or rooting through the bins at her local Goodwill.