Life > Experiences

How To Light Your Legacy at This Week’s Homecoming Events

Next week begins a very exciting time of Florida State’s academic year: the beginning of homecoming week! To those of you who are new to college or are like me and just weren’t sure what homecoming is, here’s a little rundown. It started in 1948 as a week for alumni to come back to the school and celebrate their alma mater while current students got to celebrate with their predecessors. While the first homecoming started simple, it has grown immensely since it started. 

Now as we’ve gotten to 2023, homecoming is a huge event at Florida State consisting of several events that will span across a couple of weeks. The first couple of events will begin this week: the Fun Fair is on Monday, Oct. 9, and Chalk on Legacy Walk is on Friday, Oct. 13. These events precede the official Homecoming week which will take place the weekend of Oct. 20 and consist of lots of events throughout the weekend.

The Fun Fair will be located on Landis Green from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Oct. 9. The Fun Fair will have various games that promote a little friendly competition such as tug-of-war and a potato sack race. There will also be a photo booth and opportunities for free food, drinks, and merchandise for students. This is definitely an event to bring your friends to and all go enjoy some fun outside for the night. If you’re looking to have a calm but fun Monday with some friends, this is the place to be. 

Chalk on Legacy Walk is exactly what it sounds like: using chalk to decorate Legacy Walk on campus. This event will be held at Legacy Walk by the Student Union and will expand into the Student Union as well. It will be held from noon to 4:30 p.m. on Friday the thirteenth of this month. Registered Student Organizations have the opportunity to decorate a cement panel on Legacy Walk, creating a design to showcase their organization and the homecoming theme. With this year’s theme being Light Your Legacy, I’m sure there will be a ton of killer designs. If you decide to explore the Student Union, you’ll find banners from all these organizations also illustrating the theme and organization. Even if you’re not a member of a participating organization, it will be a great place to take photos and a great excuse to take a leisurely stroll through campus before a wild weekend. 

Even if you’re not a member of a participating organization, these events are great for some wholesome fun, learning more about organizations on campus, and taking part in a piece of FSU’s history. Click these links for more information about these events and upcoming homecoming events.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

From Naples, FL Kaitlyn is a student at FSU majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media. During her time at FSU she’s worked on the undergraduate literary staff before moving up to the masthead as well as being apart of the Beta Mu Gamma Phi Beta chapter.