valentines day party heart cake with flowers and candles on table
Photo by Madeline Schmidt

How I Would Spend Valentine’s Day in Tallahassee

For some people, February can range from a month of exciting special events to a dreadful winter slump. This year, as I’m still figuring out how to balance my academics, extracurriculars, social life, and time, planning an ideal Valentine’s date seems tedious. For me, there can be a lot of expectations to have something planned, whether it’s spending a special day with your partner or fulfilling the ideal Pinterest-y Galentine’s party. Especially in college, finding things to do and creating plans can be challenging. Picking out a cute location, the right decorations, and a good restaurant in a town one might not be familiar with is tedious. However, I hope to ease the stress of creating plans just a bit as I take you through what a day in my life during the month of love could look like! Tallahassee is full of local hidden gems around campus that could make the perfect date or girl’s day, so let’s get started!

but first, coffee

What better way to start your day than with a sweet treat? There are so many cute local coffee shops to visit around Tallahassee. Places like Catalina Cafe and the Sweet Shop are close to campus and always fun to walk to in the morning. Additionally, I recommend checking out other local coffee shops such as Red Eye Coffee, Lucky Goat Coffee, or Black Dog Cafe! Most local shops have monthly themed or specialty drinks that are always fun. I love treating myself or my partner and friends, and starting the day with a delicious beverage never disappoints!

spend time in nature

After picking up a coffee or your sweet treat, prioritize yourself! Finding a peaceful location to picnic, journal, hike, read, or pursue your passions is rewarding. Whether you spend time with yourself or others, self-love is so important.

There seems always to be something happening on Landis Green, and I love going there to people-watch and get work done. Right off campus, there are numerous parks, such as Lake Elberta Park or Cascades Park, as well as the FSU Lakefront Park and Retreat Center (The Rez) that are perfect locations to have a picnic with your girls, paint with your partner or spend time with yourself doing things you love. The FSU Rez is free for FSU students and has opportunities such as kayaks, sand volleyball, and so many other fun activities to consider.

Additionally, I recommend checking a few parks outside campus, such as the Edward Ball Wakulla Springs State Park or Alfred B. Maclay Gardens State Park. These locations are so pretty and a relaxing date or day trip idea. Going out and being in nature is an inexpensive and peaceful way to spend your day if you’re unsure of what to do.

grab a bite

After spending the day outside and taking time to relax (or if you have plans, school, or extracurriculars during the day) , treating yourself to a good meal is the perfect end to the day. Consider finding a place you enjoy, a comfort food, or try something new with your people or partner.

If you want to find a nicer place to take someone or yourself on a date, The Edison, Table 23, or Black Radish are relatively expensive and more formal dinner places. Meanwhile, a more chill and casual location such as Kiku, Little Italy, or Relish are other options I have loved. There are many options, but most importantly, find something you enjoy! People have different tastes, but I hope these can give you inspiration on new restaurants to try this month!

staying home is sometimes better

Valentine’s is what you make of it. Staying in, turning on a movie, making your comfort meal, and relaxing alone or with friends can also be a perfect day. Your day doesn’t need to be full of things to do; just appreciate the people you surround yourself with and the love you can find in the little things. Holidays don’t have to be a huge event. It’s okay to spend the day inside catching your breath. After spending the day inside at home, if you’re bored and want to do something, there are numerous options here that would be fun to check out this month.

What better way to spend the month of love than trying new places, restaurants, and things to do with the people you care about?

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hey yall! I am a second-year undergraduate student and member of the Her Campus at Florida State chapter. I am an out-of-state student majoring in environmental science, and have always had a passion for writing. Within HerCampus, I am part of the social media team for Instagram, an academic intern, and staff writer. My work often varies from campus advice and environmental current events to lifestyle articles based around healthy habits and some of my other passions such as thrifting, being outdoors, and attending concerts. Beyond Her Campus, I am involved in my sorority, Gamma Phi Beta, as a Social Media Chair and Line Dance member. I additionally fundraise for Dance Marathon at FSU and am a member of both the Environmental Service Program and Maji Project.